Why become a member? ×

1976 pre EB Ray on the bay, any takers?

stingrayPete1977

I have a feeling this is the one that I bid on ages ago that needed a lot of work, but its turned out nice and is clearly a genuine seller, the one I was outbid on at about £900 needed a hole filling where the 3 band EQ had required a jack socket in the body like a new EBMM one, had the 2 band circuit missing and various other bits, but it was a genuine 76' so there is a good chance it was this one before the work was done.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSICMAN-MUSIC-MAN-STINGAY-BASS-1976-FIRST-YEAR-RADIO-KNOBS-WHITE-GUARD-L-FENDER-/290742974419?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43b1a1b7d3"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b1a1b7d3[/url]

I wonder what an unmolested 76' with radio knobs would fetch?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342362836' post='1733726']
No offence to the seller, but starting bids of £1,900 for a butchered '76, that's a bit rich, isn't it?
[/quote]
Well its like anything whats a none butchered '76 worth? Thats about top money for a clean later one maybe like mine so it depends on if you want a mint 77 or later or a mint but none original '76? Also this one is from a known source and is being sold as what it is, once it has been sold this time any later sales might not be so honest anyway.

It was the one I was thinking of then Bass Doc, from what it cost needing work and the work thats been done I'd say the price is more than fair, that does not garantee a sale obviously but I can see how that has stacked up :)

No I think it went sold as seen needing a lot of work to put right for about £950 ish Bass Doc might know more? It had a 3 band preamp and all sorts of issues, I think my plan was to buy it and have the body put right then wait to find the correct bits over the years, but how long would it take to locate a '76 preamp? I can see a mint all original '76 with a period case going for £3500 at a dealer, the only reason thats not a common occurance is that they dont really come up do they? A rough '76 has got to be £2k really so its hard to put a value on, this is exactly how expensive collectable stuff starts, like Noel says its expensive so he looks around to find another, looks at one for £1500 and realises its not a '76 but by then has his heart set on a '76 so starts looking some more, by then the only one is a mint one from a collecatble bass dealer with all the receipts and as much proof as possible that its the real deal just in case he wants to sell it on at alater date, by then it £2.5 - 3K. Lots of people see them going for that price which drags the bottom of the market up and the really rough ones get made in to fake '76s which entice people in only to realise they are fake, but by then they have their heart set on a '76 and so it continues! .......look at Fenders.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

He's also selling this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSIC-MAN-MUSICMAN-SABRE-BASS-1979-EARLY-MODEL-RARE-NEAR-MINT-LEO-FENDER-/290742972921?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43b1a1b1f9

This I would love. But then I suppose I'd be too frightened to do much with it, but I'd love to have it. But when would I use it? I know but its beautiful and the sound... But I already have a pre-EB, but I've always wanted a Sabre. Yeah but...

A friend of mine told me they come with an 18+ requirement.

I've never had a chance to try one. I've always described my 'Ray as being like a big Cadillac; it's typically american, unnecessarily powerful and comfortable with every conceivable extra.

I'm imagining a Mack truck.