Why become a member? ×

First gig tomorrow!

Kevsy71

Playing our drummer's anniversary party tomorrow, a five song set! First time I've played live, but at least it's to a non-hostile audience (well, until we start that is...). Only worry is the weather as we will be outdoors- so we may have to make an impromptu Knebworth using gazebos...

Band name is The Expändables , will try to record and post the set here: https://www.facebook.com/ExpandablesUK

Good luck with your first gig. Hope you're less nervous than I was when I broke my duck. I was so excited about it I got to the gig and found I'd left my bass at home!

Mind you, that taught me to have a routine and always put stuff in the same place (car keys, wallet etc - all the stuff you don't want in your pockets when you play). Since then I've often chuckled at people who put stuff down randomly wondering where there keys etc are later.

Cheers Steve !

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1342190596' post='1731265']
I got to the gig and found I'd left my bass at home!
[/quote]

If that's the worst that happens I'll be fine, as I live round the corner B)

Good luck, enjoy yourselves!
One tip. If you're playing outside makes sure any charts/notes/setlists you need are securely pinned down.
Sudden gusts of wind always seem to come at the worst time, even under a gazebo.
I use bulldog clips if using a music stand and tape things to the floor if not.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1342190596' post='1731265']
Good luck with your first gig. Hope you're less nervous than I was when I broke my duck. I was so excited about it I got to the gig and found I'd left my bass at home!

Mind you, that taught me to have a routine and always put stuff in the same place (car keys, wallet etc - all the stuff you don't want in your pockets when you play). Since then I've often chuckled at people who put stuff down randomly wondering where there keys etc are later.
[/quote]

Brilliant - like it a lot. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sound advice though.

Dave

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1342191913' post='1731309']
I once put on an impromptu and well attended gig in local woodlands (got us in the Leicester mercury).
[/quote]
I played my first gig in Leicester in the 60's at a community hall at Netherhall (I think). My bass was a Hofner Beatle (later sold for so much more than the £15 I paid for it). My band was very poor and my vocal mike was hanging by string from the stage curtain rail. Of course it started to swing and I struggled to sing into it! I left Leicester 3 years later to join a band John Peel was producing so I learnt a lot in those years.
GOOD LUCK with the gig! joe

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1342185720' post='1731100']
Playing our drummer's anniversary party tomorrow, a five song set! First time I've played live, but at least it's to a non-hostile audience (well, until we start that is...). Only worry is the weather as we will be outdoors- so we may have to make an impromptu Knebworth using gazebos...

Band name is The Expändables , will try to record and post the set here: [url="https://www.facebook.com/ExpandablesUK"]https://www.facebook.com/ExpandablesUK[/url]
[/quote]

Did my first one last night. Great fun, and not too bad at all!

Gave you a like on FB for your efforts,

Cheers,
Ed