Why become a member? ×

EPK - Electronic Press Kit

3V17C

so.. our promoter fella wants us to put together an EPK to send out - anyone else done one or got some good examples? Any pointers?

Back in the day they seemed to be a good idea.. some kind of multimedia presentation with pics, audio, video etc on CD to send out but I dunno..... is it really necessary these days when the website contains all that kind of stuff? All the promotional material is already up there online so would just be duplicating that?....

thoughts, comments etc on the back of a five pound note to the usual address.....

cheers

C

I've been asked to do one for my band, haven't got round to it yet but I'm still thinking of ideas. Was thinking of a PDF document with interactive elements, but it's all theory at the moment.

I can see them being of some use, mainly when emailing promoters and venues. I know from experience that a website link on the bottom of the email, more often than not, will go ignored, but if they have an attachment sitting there, they will tend to click that.

Am going to start working on it tonight so I'll let you know how it goes.

what about a pop up card of your bands playing at a famous arena? Picks with your band logo, or hot girls!? Free Tshirts for people to wear around your gigs, or when your gigs are coming up, posters for people to put on their walls, a memory stick with your band logo on it loaded with two or three of your songs, a flag, a banner, stickers, a lollypop!

Ours is basically a PDF version of the printed press kit with clickable links to replace the CD that would normally be included and an extra page (or 2) that is updated as we get new and better reviews.

We also do a full-blown HTML email newsletter once a month that goes out to fans and other interested parties.

The difference between your website, an artist press kit and an EPK is that the EPK should be short and to the point if it's going to promoters / labels etc but include a clear link to more details directly to your website. (a single click) I've got a couple of pre-release album EPK's here that are a zip file with selected album tracks in MP3 format, some press quality photos and a couple of PDFs. One has the general band blurb the otherhas the album release blurb.

A press release with positive comments from publications / labels should be included as well as noted big gigs proving you have a huge fan base. Should also include a bit about the band too obviously. A little bit of hyping doesn't hurt but no BS lol.

In short, the promoter wants to know if you're worth putting on. Much like a job CV, you can expect that they have tons of these press releases to get through. The EPK should be a short, clear yet detailed resume of all ya band best bits!

TBH we've had far more success with the physical printed press pack than any of the EPKs that we've sent out.

These days anyone can cobble together something in the virtual world and email it out. Having a printed kit with an actual CD attached that has been sent in the post shows an additional level of commitment which can make all the difference when dealing with promoters etc.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1342092826' post='1729381']
TBH we've had far more success with the physical printed press pack than any of the EPKs that we've sent out.

These days anyone can cobble together something in the virtual world and email it out. Having a printed kit with an actual CD attached that has been sent in the post shows an additional level of commitment which can make all the difference when dealing with promoters etc.
[/quote]

Point well made. The same as any job application, use the EPK in conjunction with physical media (even if it's just a letter) and telephone calls.

Not sure about the physical media thing anymore. Played loads of places where demos are just piled up on shelves and never played. A few times we've even been asked to listen to some of them and give our opinions.

A lot of promoters / agents have spam filters on their computers which don't allow the good stuff through.

Not very positive I know but if the negatives are known then whats left is the way to go.