Why become a member? ×

NCD: twin 210s

BluRay

So I used the excuse of joining a new band (successful audition, yey!!) to finally sort my cabs out. This is a gigging band, playing loud punky stuff. 2 guitars with 412s and all that, loud drummer. At last a band that suits nice big gear! Except the prospect of dragging the fullstack about ..... hmmm

So now, after muchos shopping around (cos Ashdown have just stopped making em apparently) I picked up twin ABM 210s. Friendly, prompt and efficient service from both Academy of Sound and GAK, who each had one left in stock to form a matching pair. Both cabs arrived safe and sound the very next day.

I think this is the right combination for me. Ok there's lots of lighter 210s about, but these are a great match for the amp, robust and portable enough. And I can move them up our steps without scraping the skin of my knuckles.

And they look awesome stacked vertically, so the OTT stage furniture remains intact too!

The 410 is relegated to rehearsal room.

I like 2x210's as they stack higher than a single 410 albeit by not so much and they are a decent carry. The cabs are still weighty but they lack a very good punch. Solid cabs and solid sound, IMO.

Slightly OT, I have been comparing good solid wooden cabs against composites for full range P.A and every time I have liked the wooden cab better. Not the most scientific process but enough for me to focus on this aspect.... It makes the arguement of weight and carry more pertinent, IMO

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1342027912' post='1728431']

The cabs are still weighty but they lack a very good punch. Solid cabs and solid sound, IMO.

[/quote]

I'm hoping that was meant to be "pack" not lack! :lol:

Yeah, not the lightest 210s around - but they're "ok" weight-wise, well-made and sound spot on. I did seriously consider the new genz focus cabs - at around the same price and 2/3rds weight. But then I'd [s]want [/s]need a new amp to go with them, and so it goes on. Anyhow I'm hoping thats me sorted for cabs now, and I can start thinking about basses again!

• 2 months later...

Update to say gigged these for the first time last night - noisy punky situation with 2 geeetars and loud drums. full pa. Blimey what a difference over the single 410 in terms of volume. Loads of headroom. I've found myself almost maxed out in rehearsals with the 410, but just needed the volume at around 50-60% with the 2x210s. And didn't put my back out. Well happy. :D

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1349002525' post='1820475']
if your stacking vertically they might not be any louder but are just closer to your ear so easier to hear.

glad the rigs working for you tho dude! need pics tho to or it isn't real!

andy
[/quote]

In the end I just stacked them normally. Ample volume and clarity - and didn't need to-up end them. I guess they stand about a foot taller than my 410 anyhow. Though I might flip them on end next time just to see the difference. Pics to make it real....

[attachment=119731:210.jpg]

[attachment=119732:210a.jpg]

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1349005935' post='1820527']
In the end I just stacked them normally. Ample volume and clarity - and didn't need to-up end them. I guess they stand about a foot taller than my 410 anyhow. Though I might flip them on end next time just to see the difference. Pics to make it real....

[attachment=119731:210.jpg]

[attachment=119732:210a.jpg]
[/quote]
The second (up-ended) pic looks a real tower of power! Also you've then effectively got a line array, so your sound will come out as a semi-cylindrical wavefront (as used in the Bose L1 PA setups) rather than a hemispherical one. Advantages: less volume drop-off over distance, no phase cancellation out in the audience. Disadvantages: your eardrums will meet somewhere in the middle of your head, the guitarists will plot your premature death. :ph34r:

• 1 year later...