Why become a member? ×

Does anyone take a spare amp to gigs

thebassman

It appears everyone else uses the pa as backup but as I said before that does not really help the OP as he stated he does not have that option! Oh well I have a DI on my amp but unlike the others I have a DI on my [i]spare amp [/i]too :P

Get a nice little class D mate it solves all your problems and weighs nothing, you can still use it as an amp for practice etc too :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342465001' post='1735685']
It appears everyone else uses the pa as backup but as I said before that does not really help the OP as he stated he does not have that option!
[/quote]

That's what i get for jumping straight in to talk about what *I* do :lol:

Well in that case, I would recommend finding a used Markbass head (usually found for £300 - £400) and chuck it in the gig bag... might end up preferring it to your main one! ;)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1342467233' post='1735737']
That's what i get for jumping straight in to talk about what *I* do :lol:

Well in that case, I would recommend finding a used Markbass head (usually found for £300 - £400) and chuck it in the gig bag... might end up preferring it to your main one! ;)
[/quote]

No one noticed after I posted the same thing on page one so you win a fiver!
TBF the OP did say what do you guys do, use the PA it appears, maybe "what would you guys do?" would of been clearer.

And 1+ on the amp thing, I actually prefer my backup shuttle to my bigger shuttle tone wise so there is something to be said about that :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Although i would rather have done the DI into PA solution as a back up, this is not possible for our current set up.

I was also from the school of thought that modern electronics will not break down until recently. My mates Fender amp stopped working, mid set, last year and my 2 month old Mesa M6 also failed last week, luckily at a rehearsal. So i have no choice but to get a back up.

I have finally taken the plunge and invested in an Orange Bass Terror/ Genz benz Streamliner 600, as soon as i make my mind up which one is more suited to my application.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1342478517' post='1736030']
No, it's a right little beast - it's been an emergency bass amp, guitar amp and monitor amp so far :)
[/quote]

Mine's been a monitor amp too - when they were being sold off at £50 it seemed too much of a bargain to pass up, it's so small that it can be tucked away in a corner of the car for emergency use.

My powerblock died a death quite quickly, and Foxen is now using it for spares. The only way I got it to sound half-decent as a bass amp was to use a pre-amp and go in through the effects return: the gain brings on distortion so quickly that it's essentiallly useless if you need a clean sound through the main input.

I bought a markbass head to use as a backup for my unreliable valve head, and ended up using the markbass head as my main amp. Eventually I acquired a Puma 110 and now that goes everywhere as a backup/di/monitor just in case.

I might actually now be in a position to run bass through the PA without using backline, but I'll still be carrying the Puma as a just-in-case measure for the forseeable future.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1342822008' post='1741676']
My powerblock died a death quite quickly, and Foxen is now using it for spares. The only way I got it to sound half-decent as a bass amp was to use a pre-amp and go in through the effects return: the gain brings on distortion so quickly that it's essentiallly useless if you need a clean sound through the main input.
[/quote]

There's a "speaker emulation" bit that does that. You can bypass it by connecting the effects out to the CD in (you need to experiment to find which phono socket to use):

Edited by tauzero