Why become a member? ×

aching joints

chilievans

I seen to be having some aching in my right arm which I think is caused by playing my bass.
Its mainly in my elbow but there's also I bit of aching in my wrist and shoulder. I play every day for 1.5 - 2 hours so nothing excessive. I really don't want to stop playing but I don't of there is anything else i can do?
Does anyone else have the same problem who can offer me some advice?
I'd really appreciate it

Lengthen the strap by an inch or 2 and hold the neck up a little more. Play over the bridge pick up rather than the neck pickup.

That should straighten out your left wrist, right wrist and right elbow.

Are you relaxed or tense when you’re playing? Try to relax more.

Play in 1 hour sessions with a rest in between.

[quote name='chilievans' timestamp='1341912371' post='1725896']
I'll try and post a pic later on.
I don't feel tense when playing but I'll look into it.
BTW I always play seated could that be something to do with it?
[/quote]

Do you rest your picking forearm on the bass while you're playing? That can make your wrist hurt if you are

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1341930058' post='1726378']

Do you rest your picking forearm on the bass while you're playing? That can make your wrist hurt if you are
[/quote]
Yes I do. I'll try something else. Cheers Jack

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1341938206' post='1726587']
Stop playing for a few days and see if it goes away.
[/quote]
I can't really stop at the moment as I've an exam on Sunday.
I will have a rest after that mind

I also only play seated, sometimes more sometimes less than an hour or two every day almost. Most of my arthritic pains come out in my neck & shoulders although my worst areas are lower back, fortunately my hands are not so bad, (touches wood).

All I can suggest is Voltarol Emugel, I used to get it on prescription until they tried saving a few bob & gave me some useless shyte.

But seriously it is wonderful for pain relief IMO & allows the joints & muscles to 'work again'. Maybe not a long term cure, but it sure helps as temporary & almost instant relief, for me.

Other medical diagnoses are available & should almost certainly be looked into :D type disclaimer :ph34r:

Your sitting position and what you actually sit on could be your problem. Do you sit on a couch or the side of your bed when playing ? If so, try using a hard chair with a back on it. Do you wear your strap when you play sitting down ? It helps to wear the bass at the same level (about belt buckle level) for both sitting and standing. IMO the strap should be worn when sitting.

The advice not to rest your arm on the body of the bass is valid. Doing this, restricts the tendons movement, and can cause problems over time.