Why become a member? ×

a D-tuner on a B string ???

Chris Horton

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1341689357' post='1722885']
Has anyone ever had a D-tuner fitted on a 5 string bass on the B string ???

Is it possible ??
Pros & cons ?
[/quote]

Is it possible? I imagine so.

Pros: you no longer have a spare D-tuner.

Cons: that lowest-of-low As is very low indeed. And potentially a little bit Pele.

Edited by Gust0o

This will sound a bit unhelpful, but I recall reading a thread about this a while back (not sure which forum) and it is possible with a Hipshot, all other things being equal.

I was considering it myself on my Jazz V, but then realised that it would not be all that handy.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1341690931' post='1722915']

do they have issues when trying to go through metal detectors at airports ??? ;)
[/quote]

Well they would have take those big gladiator boots with all the buckles up the sides off, and remove all the stuff from various holes in their faces! :D

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1341689963' post='1722901']
I think it would be A not D.
[/quote]

Sorry, my typo - I normally use drop D, so it's on the brain. I have tried dropping the B to an A around the standard drop D tuning, but... well, it has it's moments.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1341693037' post='1722967']
My main band is in drop C and I have a d-tuner on the bass I use for that... only I always have the extender open and dropped and occasionally nip it up for D standard... but like hardly ever.
[/quote]

out of interest , what bass do you use ?

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1341693359' post='1722974']
out of interest , what bass do you use ?
[/quote]

It has no name I'm afraid .... it's a home brew. :)

edit : now I'm home and the hangover has subsided :D ... it's this bass...

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341693586' post='1722976']
My uncle used to use a hipshot on his B string on a Fender P Deluxe and loved it! I think it was through a Markbass CMD 102P. As far as in aware he played rock, pop, and jazz.
[/quote]

That's cool ,
I will detune the bass a bit and have a play around before i spend money on a D-tuner.

I have a bass that I drop down from Eb to C# (don't have a hipshot though!)

What I did is set it up for the drop C# tuning so that it's nice and low without rattling, and jus deal with it bein marginally less than perfect when in Eb. Doesn't make as much of a difference to the neck as I expected though! :)

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1341690822' post='1722911']
I understand that some gospel bass players tune the whole bass down a step or two ........
It got me thinking if a D-tuner would work
[/quote]

I think you're right, a lot of gospel bass players do detune a whole step (a trend started by Andrew Gouche I believe). I think you would be best just to tune the whole bass down and just get used to playing like that for it to be any use TBH. I put a heavier gauge of strings on my bass recently and detuned the whole bass 1 step. It was awesome! The low a was killer, but I did just quite like the feeling of the reduced tension and the sound of all the strings actually. Tuned back up because it's not much use to me in the rock covers band I'm in, but if I get a regular gig doing Funk/Soul/Gospel sort of stuff again, I may well try playing everything in that tuning. I don't think that just having a D-tuner on the B would end up being that useful in practice.