Why become a member? ×

Ryan Martinie

Kev

A post by Andy Saxton on Facebook made me remember how good this bassist is:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5Ryv_JYYw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5Ryv_JYYw[/url]

Like the music style or not, the energy in his playing as well as somewhat complex techniques at times makes me wonder how he isn't more well known than he is. Imagine a solo album!

I aswell!

Bloody love the guy. His sound is always impeccable and his sheer skill level really made me up my game I was a spotty bassist in school 10 years ago.

I always wondered how he got an almost fretless tone. Any ideas what his rig was on LD50?

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1341266526' post='1716264']
I aswell!

Bloody love the guy. His sound is always impeccable and his sheer skill level really made me up my game I was a spotty bassist in school 10 years ago.

I always wondered how he got an almost fretless tone. Any ideas what his rig was on LD50?

Truckstop
[/quote]

Ryan swore by his Ampeg SVT 4-Pro for both studio and recording for years. I think he uses Avalons nowadays though.

Love Ryan's playing! Mudvayne's music/imagery might not be for everybody, but his ability is unquestionable. Last I read he was awaiting a Warwick Hellborg rig. He had been using Avalon U5's and in-ears, but I think the Avalons weren't holding up too well with the rigours of touring!

Great player - the late 90s and early 00s were a good time for rock and metal bass players, with Martinie, Katunich, etc showing what could be done. I think a lot of his tone is just the growly sound of a Thumb Bass, not a lot of processing to my ears, although his recorded tone changed after LD50 - it was more subby and less middy. Shame, the character of a Thumb's sound is in the mids. Maybe the producers wanted more sonic space for the guitars. Technique-wise, he owes a lot to Doug Wimbish, looks like he's stolen quite a few of his moves, but he does it very, very well.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1341497371' post='1720060']
I've been listening to nothing but LD50 for the past few days, such a good album!

I just can't work out why their albums since are comparatively weak.

Truckstop
[/quote]

They just became more commercial and as such their originality floundered a bit. There are still good songs on some of the later albums in which Ryan still shines through such as: Determined, Happy, IMN, Not Falling and few others but those are the ones that spring to mind. I haven't been keeping up with their latest stuff but it's a bit hard to listen to I find.