Why become a member? ×

Wood & Tronics Zoid 5 Beasty...

bassjamm

Hey all...

Been off the radar and off the bass for a while. Managed to get through a few basses still mind, ha!

I did a deal on my Gibson Grabber last year, that thing was a beast, miss it :( but I got myself a Sadowsky RV5 which had been on the 'want' list for a number of years. Couldn't get over how great it sounded in a band setting, it cut through sooooo nicely, and really sounded lush in the mix. Finally curbed the 'super jazz' desires deep within as well.

But...

I've been after a single cut bass for years, a bass that is really an instrument to express myself on. The Sadowsky offered an element of that I must admit, but I've always been a fan of more botique luthiers and the basses the create. So, when I noticed an opportunity to get myself an instrument that could fit that remit, I pounced!

Last year I was in talks with Wood & Tronics about a custom build...it never happened as I couldn't justify the outlay. But the Sadowsky went in part-ex and I got myself pretty much exactly what I would have got built anyway, perhaps I'd have chosen a more 'out there' top, but this one is by no means bland, it's subtly beautiful and incredibly unique!

"Less waffle" you cry...

Lovely bass mate, congrats.
I've always liked the look of those W&T Basses.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1340346636' post='1703016']
That's wicked mate. Congrats. A little orginality goes a long way in my book. There's too many fenders in this world...
[/quote]

Wise wise words :)

Eude

Hi mate nice to see you

Lovely bass. I was blown away with the 'demo' bass I played a couple of years ago. It positively fizzed with sparkle (what?!)

Enjoy and let us know how you get on with it
ped

Very nice bass! I keep my Zoid VM6 which (thanks God!) has not managed to sell when I had difficult period of life.
Now another W&T bass is in the process, but not a Zoid, which is my favourite W&T shape (if not to say the only single cut shape I dig)!
Congrats!

[quote name='KuzBass' timestamp='1340353946' post='1703095']
Very nice bass! I keep my Zoid VM6 which (thanks God!) has not managed to sell when I had difficult period of life.
Now another W&T bass is in the process, but not a Zoid, which is my favourite W&T shape (if not to say the only single cut shape I dig)!
Congrats!
[/quote]

Got any pics? I find the body really comfortable. I love the headstock too.

Thanks for all the comments guys...and 'hey' to Mark and Ped, hope you're both well!

It's a beauty. Such a range of tones. Still getting my head around the pre-amp as there are so many usable sounds. Working out which ones suit what is coming along nicely, but I've pretty much got it where I want it on the sound front I think. Just using the pick blend and tone, leaving the EQ flat, and then messing around with the series/parallel/single coil tap switches for each pickup seems to be working out nicely. I can get a really nice old school P sound but with a bit more 'yum'...I'm digging that. Then roll the pickup blend and I'm honking like a true funkster. Ha!

But it's really nice to play. Just need to get it strung E-C now. Looking to see if I can get a set of Tapewounds that will allow me to do this as I really dig them on my Precision.

Hmm...fun fun fun!

I see you've got a Terror Bass.
How does this boutique'y fancy EQ'd active'd bass sound through that kind of amp?
I've been used to solid state for a long time now, but something in me still hankers for a bit of valve warmth/grit...

Eude

[quote name='KuzBass' timestamp='1340354830' post='1703114']
Yes, here are some pics of my Zoid (the courtesy of the previous owner as I don't have own pics in my office computer)
[/quote]

Beautiful, love the ramp too. Feels like I can almost play it through the screen!

Thanks, ped! But I must say all W&T basses (IMHO) are beautiful (each in its own manner). What I dig - the playability (the only 6 string I manage to play due to 33 inch scale), balance (especially I love the absence of neck dive when I practice sitting), sound (very versatile) and the fact that it is a very solid and stable (7-piece laminate neck et cetera). But one thing to avoid misleading - this is not a light bass, on my bath scale it weighs slightly below 5 kilos!
Many other things to be mentioned like a ramp, fret size, bridge etc. And of course the shape. I was blown away when I saw it for the first time, and even nowadays (1,5 years after I've purchased it) sometimes I just can't take my eyes off it.

Don't get me wrong, there are many fine basses/luthiers nowadays. I am not endorsing anyone and I know this is a matter of taste (I dig other brands, too). Just when it came to the point that I felt I need a fretless and it seemed like the best way to get what I want is to order a custom bass, I did not hesitate much and I turned to W&T guys and the reason is simple - I already held the evidence of hi-quality craftmanship in my arms.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1340356286' post='1703157']
I see you've got a Terror Bass.
How does this boutique'y fancy EQ'd active'd bass sound through that kind of amp?
I've been used to solid state for a long time now, but something in me still hankers for a bit of valve warmth/grit...

Eude
[/quote]

You ask a valid question sir. In short, it's too powerful for the amp as I had it setup. It was way too hot, even on low gain and in active mode (on the amp that is). The Zoid is also an extremely huge and deep sounding beast.

That all having been said, I've rolled the gain back, and knocked the bass way back on the amp and it's sounding lush. I'm yet to really push it on the volume front, but I love the Terror. It's such a simple thing, and you can be really dramatic with the EQ, as let's face it, turning from one extreme to the other doesn't really offer much variance, but using all 3 tone controls together you can really shape the sound nicely I find. I love the warmth of it. And it is working so far with the Zoid. I've got a new set of valves on the way though as the Terror's are gain happy with the stock AX7's in. I reckon the new AT7's will curb it enough to really allow the Zoid to shine :D

It's all early days though so I'll keep this thread up to date with the progress on this front...if I remember to that is!

But I do love me some valve!

[quote name='KuzBass' timestamp='1340357456' post='1703188']this is not a light bass, on my bath scale it weighs slightly below 5 kilos!

Don't get me wrong, there are many fine basses/luthiers nowadays.
[/quote]

Got to agree, it's not light. But weight doesn't bother me too much.

As for the quality of the build and other luthiers etc. I've been privileged to have owned a number of botique and high end basses and I must admit, the W&T's build quality is probably the best I've ever had the joy of owning. It's incredibly well built, and attention to detail is insane. I'd say the Marleaux's are close to this standard as well though, but the W&T does offer a whole new level of amazingness I reckon!

But I would say that wouldn't I...I'm still high on it, ha!

Thanks for that mate.
I've got a couple of lovely basses which I'm very settled with, so my amp GAS is flaring up a bit now.
The Terror Bass has been on my list since I first saw it, but was worried about how it would cope with an active bass with a lot of EQ options.
Sounds like it can be made to work though :)

Cheers,
Eude

I need to get a new cab to really bring it all out. Running it all through a battered Trace 4x10 from back before time began...ha! Great cab for a really raucous sounds, not that great for pushing some big looped sounds and what not through.

But I'm a fan of the Terror, it does everything I want it to. I'd consider something else, but I don't think I'd let the Terror go, it's a cracking piece of kit and does lend itself to rock and punk tones so well. But I play improvised funk/jazz stuff with it all the time and it does the job nicely.

Like I say though, I'll keep working with it and the new bass for a bit to marry them together better!

Well I've had a chance to give it the beans a bit more and to fiddle with the Terror amp now. Got it working nicely :)

But the bass...ooo...it's corker. Really does sound beautiful. I've strung it E-C now, not needed to make any adjustments as of yet. But the D'addario Nickels I've put on had led to a loss of harmonic response, or rather, harmonics aren't singing out as clearly now. No idea what strings where on there before, but they did a nice job on the harmonics front that's for sure.

I'm really getting to grips with the feel of the bass that's for sure. It's really easy to get around, and sits pretty much perfectly for me.

Can't keep my eyes and hands off it though...oooph!!!

New AT7 tubes arrived today for the Orange Terror amp. They got it smack bang in the middle of me messing around with my effects for the first time with the Zoid and it was overloading the gain on the Terror sooooo bad, it wasn't looking good.

10 minutes later, new tubes installed...and well, it's awesome!

Been playing it for about an hour or so now and it's so so usable with the less gainy valves, it's sounding really nice. The gain is far more usable on the amp now, and i've got it breaking up just nicely for that old school funk kind of vibe. Nice!

So to answer Eude's question further on the Terror amp and a high output active bass...it's now everything I wanted it to be :D

[quote name='bassjamm' timestamp='1340647437' post='1707576']
New AT7 tubes arrived today for the Orange Terror amp. They got it smack bang in the middle of me messing around with my effects for the first time with the Zoid and it was overloading the gain on the Terror sooooo bad, it wasn't looking good.

10 minutes later, new tubes installed...and well, it's awesome!

Been playing it for about an hour or so now and it's so so usable with the less gainy valves, it's sounding really nice. The gain is far more usable on the amp now, and i've got it breaking up just nicely for that old school funk kind of vibe. Nice!

So to answer Eude's question further on the Terror amp and a high output active bass...it's now everything I wanted it to be :D
[/quote]

Nice one mate, glad to hear it's working out for you!
I'm now even more tempted, I'm not sure if I should thank you for feeding my GAS though... :yarr:

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1340655598' post='1707745'] Nice one mate, glad to hear it's working out for you! I'm now even more tempted, I'm not sure if I should thank you for feeding my GAS though... :yarr: Eude [/quote]

Ha...well, I bought mine last year after reading all the hype on here and elsewhere about them. I think a lot of new year gets a wild reception and has it's 5 minutes of fame simply because it's new and all the folks on these forums and the like go mad on it, then the next thing comes along...not that that's a negative view or anything, but what I'm getting at is this...

A year on, and the Terror is still causing a stir. And a year on, I'm still loving it :)

It couldn't be more simpler. If you want a clean modern tone, this ain't it. But I love mine. Such a funky amp. Just can't bring myself to pairing it with anything other than an Orange cab though. Mind you, it kicked some major butt with the Ampeg SVT 610HLF I used to own. Grr...and I need a new cab desperately.

Anyway, the W&T is really sounding sweet through the amp. I was playing for a good 3/4 hours today and the tubes really warmed up and sounded velvety after a while, yummy!

Still finding so many nice tones with the bass though. I can't get over how playable it is. It was a bit of an impulse buy, but I knew I wouldn't ever get the chance to buy one that fitted the bill for me so well, so cheap, not for a loooooong time. So a week on and I'm still gleaming with the purchase guys.

It's really inspiring me at the moment :)

I've not really been one to mess with settings on an amp, I tend to do it all on the bass, and if anything add a touch of bass and mid if necessary, so if the amp sounds good as it is, that's all you need!
I'm glad to hear that you're managing to use it for something other than metal/rock/punk, which seems to be the amps natural tone, at least with the stock valves anyway.

Cheers,
Eude

Quick update...

Really getting to grips with this bass now. Finding it so effortless to play. It's tone is incredible.

It's getting it's first outing on Wednesday. Meeting up for a jam with a new project, kind of a funk/jazz/groove based thing with a really sick drummer and a nifty sax player. We've got a pretty decent upright player who we're thinking is up for it too which would be pretty cool. I'd be well into the realms or chordal and effects madness if that were to happen which I'm excited about :D