Why become a member? ×

Squier Affinity Bronco/Musicmaster

MoonBassAlpha

Hi All
I'm looking to source a backup bass for a friend who uses a Musicmaster.
Needs to be short scale and simple!
Do the Affinities make a decent sound, and would you use one as a backup/gigging bass?
I've never had my hands on one, so would probably be buying blind off t'Bay or even here...
Any issues and thoughts welcome.
Cheers.
Jules

Stock, they're passable. I played my first proper gig with one :) You'd use one in preference to not doing the gig at all. A Musicmaster player will be familiar with much of it (6 pole piece strat pickup under solid cover, 2 saddle bridge), but the tuners will be a bit more flimsy than those on the Musicmaster.

A lot of people change the pickup for a rail pickup (cool/hot rails). I've had 2 pass by me, one I modded with a lipstick strat sized pickup and the other I had a Fender '51 P (single coil) pickup put in.

If you can find one second hand for a decent price, look for a Squier Vista series Musicmaster. 4 saddle bridge, through body stringing, 4 pole piece pickup similar to a single coil P, matching headstock, decent tuners. Also remember that Squier have recently come out with a veritable feast of shorties - the VM Mustang and the VM Jaguar Special in addition to the Bronco.

I have just bought a used Bronco for seventy quid to tart up.
As it arrived the sound was nothing to write home about. But fitted with on of KiOgon's wiring kits and a cool rail 'bucker I got off the Bay for three quid its a different beast, even with the rather tired round wounds it came with.
I'm waiting off a set of Status tape wounds to arrive and toying with the idea of a new set of tuners. The gearing on these seems pretty low and, as described above, they seem pretty flimsy.
I can just get the bridge to intonate (the screw is fully extended on the G & D so I'll leave the current bridge on - although I might take the bridge off to see if there is scope to move it forward half an inch without leaving too much of a mess.
But overall I'm happy. It's not up to my other basses but its certainly usable. As well as light and easy to play.

BTW there is currently a red one on the bay at the moment. 3 days to go, no bids £40 startinging price and £15 delivery but, Stroud shouldn't be too much of a trek from Didcot.
Save me from buying something I don't need!

Edited by Leon Transaxle

Thanks Leon, good info.
Spotted the one on the Bay, I will be going for it.
Re the tapewounds - you might find they intonate in a very different position to the rounds.
I did an old Hofner up for a mate and couldn't believe how much further back the bridge had to go, especially on the bass side.
This might work in your favour in this instance.

I used to have a Squier vista series musicmaster - it was OK, but a heavy lump with rather a chunkier neck than I prefer.

My favourite gigging bass is my CIJ Fender mustang, but my candy apple red VM Jaguar SS is a close second - both basses beating my daphne blue '71 musicmaster for playability & tone. The broncos I've looked at were pretty poor in comparison.

Id advise anyone looking for a short scale to look for a jag SS - mine was £165 new from Thomann when there was a Fender/Squier promo on at the beginning of the year.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1340347261' post='1703021']
Re the tapewounds - you might find they intonate in a very different position to the rounds.
I did an old Hofner up for a mate and couldn't believe how much further back the bridge had to go, especially on the bass side.
This might work in your favour in this instance.
[/quote]
They've arrived (and very quickly too).
They sound and feel really good. Didn't think of checking the intonation. I'll give it a go. However I have to drill out the hole on the bridge in order to fit the E string properly - it sticks out the back at the moment!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1340404820' post='1704242']
When you say chunky, do you mean more so than a 70s 'Master?
I like em like that, but the girl I'm looking on behalf of really isn't that fussy afaik.
[/quote]
I don't know about mid/late 70s, But yes, the Squier Vista one was about double the weight and had a bruiser of a neck compared to my '71. It sounded pretty good though and the shell pink looked cool.

Well, its just arrived at work, superb packing and is immaculate - barely a mark on it!
This sounds good acoustically, always a good sign, 1/4 turn loosen on the truss sorted out all the fret buzz.
Look forward to trying it out amplified!

Oh, and the pink fluffy strap (Levy's) WAS included! Tasteful!

If you decide to give it a go you can have the one I took out of mine. I'm not going to need it now. You'll need to find screws and springs though as the ones that came with my new one are too thin and too short.
If I get time I could give the photoshopping a go. I did it for my Bronco recently. I was toying with the Avril Lavigne Tele look, before I decided to go cheapo and spray the scratchplate gold to match my P Bass instead.
[IMG]http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj612/LeonTransaxle/check_bronco.jpg[/IMG]