Why become a member? ×

Photoshop skills - Contemporary 51 Reissue Precision

cloudburst

I recently bought a 51 RI.

It's a MIJ 'T' serial number, is in absolutely mint condition - literally not a single mark on it.

It has the SCPB-3 Quarter Pound pickup and the 4 saddle bridge - although I still have the originals.

It plays and sounds absolutely fabulous. Really really good tone and great neck and action.

Thing is - I think it looks vile in that toxic sludge butterscotch blonde.

Soooooo...

I have a plan to do turn it into a contemporary-series one-off as follows:

- Refinish body in deep gloss black

- Reface fingerboard in rosewood with pearl dots and black nut

- Refinish neck and headstock in deep gloss black - will need a silver decal to stand out on the black

- Retain vintage reverse tuners in silver which will match silver control panel, knobs and...

- ... 51 bridge and pickup covers which I have just bought

- Finally add a transparent scratchplate (which I already have)

What are your thoughts? Am I ruining a pristine instrument?

Would someone be prepared to photoshop this up for me please?

Ta,

CB

Edited by cloudburst

If you`ve found an instrument that you really gel with, but can`t get on with the colour scheme, then it makes sense to change it to how you will like it. To some, yes it will be ruining it, but you are the one that will be gaining, and they won`t be losing. That said, I think they look amazing in the original colour scheme.

For an idea on what it will look like, there was a Mike Dirnt Sig Precision for sale on here in black, which has a rosewood fretboard - dig out the thread, and see what you reckon. It had a white scratchplate, but it gives an approximate of what you`re after - and does look rather good.

Well.....after saying how much I hated the look of the 51 RI in butterscotch blonde, just tonight I added the pickup and bridge covers (the correct way around I hasten to add) and what a difference they make!

£30 has transformed it from something pug-ugly into a really handsome instrument. I think it's not the colour that's the problem - just the fact that there is too much of it without the ashtrays. Possibly a bit of sub-conscious conditioning going on too, after years of seeing pics of original precisions.

CB