Why become a member? ×

Precision pickup height

GregBass

Hi everyone
Here's a question for the Precision experts out there. I recently bought a Mexican Diamond Jubilee Precision, and the pickup seems very low compared to my other basses. The gap from the top of the pickup cover to the E string is 8mm. That is a lot more than I would normally expect, but is it normal for a Precision?

Thanks

Greg

The problem, Yann, is that it is at the limit of its foam cushion backing. Loosening the screws further doesn't raise the pickup, which leads me to believe that this how it's supposed to be - unless the previous owner wound it down so tight that the foam cushion has been compressed.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1340229420' post='1701597']
I cut up a 50p ikea mousemat and put pieces in layers to make pickup sponges for my P basses
[/quote]

That's what i've done too,if the mousepad is quite old you can lift off the hard surface and some glue will stay on the foam,
you can stick some pieces together and center them in the cavity so they won't slip aside and push the pu in an unwanted angle! :)
-Don't let your friends waste old mousepads,they're usefull for a lot of things!

Fender sent me a leaflet and I imagine it's on their website....distances vary according to the type of P... For vintage ones it's about 3 mm on the low and 2 mm on the high string..... Had a fiddle with mine the other night...I think the distance is measured from the bottom of the E. and G strings, holding down at the last fret and measured to the top of the metal pick up sticking up rather than the plastic below it

woops, mousemat is better than the bog roll I used.

Not sure prescribed distances are anything more than a starting point. You know if you have a 'quiet' or 'hot' string, adjust accordingly, its what the adjustment is for. The magnets aren't so strong as to choke the string (like an MM pup will if too close), the G goes as close as your playing style will allow, then back the thicker strings off to get an even response. You'll get there, they all work.

Don't be limited by a bit of sponge, even genuine, sacred and untouchable Fender sponge!

[quote name='yann' timestamp='1340224571' post='1701484']
It's not normal,
but depends on your playing style...
If you play like Steve Harris and hit the strings hard,it could even be ok....
[/quote]

Seriously? Harris is a "tickler" by my standards...
8mm away still seems too far. Just get them as close as you can without;
Hitting the covers/polepieces
Getting any nasty wolftones
Upsetting the string to string output