Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What on earth have they done to this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-1965-VINTAGE-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-BODY-ORIGINAL-RARE-USA-/370623034184?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item564adab348

This is so hideous that part of me hopes that it isn't actually a genuine '65 body.

"Original Olympic White finish was removed"...and apparently replaced with what looks like decking varnish.

I was also unaware that 60's P-basses had any significant bridge routing...so someone has basically taken a chisel and hacked great lumps of wood out. (Quite badly too, judging by the edges of the hole.)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1340045283' post='1698264']
Actually, I just double checked, and it was late '65, my bad! :P
[/quote]

DAMN!!!

Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67.................

:(

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1340045419' post='1698268']
DAMN!!!

Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67, Remember it was 65 not 67.................

:(

A
[/quote]

Actually, I really am that anal about vintage fender facts!! :blush: Sad isn't it! :lol: :lol:

Excuse a noobie question about Ps, but how many pieces of wood are there in that body? Looking at the picture of the bottom edge (nearest the control cavity; about the 8th picture down, I think) the wood grain makes it looks like there are two thin slices forming the bottom of the bass. Is that standard?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1340046244' post='1698284']
Actually, I really am that anal about vintage fender facts!! :blush: Sad isn't it! :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Ha! Thats cool. ;) Problem is Ive got 67 stuck in my head :angry:

A

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1340046990' post='1698308']
Excuse a noobie question about Ps, but how many pieces of wood are there in that body? Looking at the picture of the bottom edge (nearest the control cavity; about the 8th picture down, I think) the wood grain makes it looks like there are two thin slices forming the bottom of the bass. Is that standard?
[/quote]

i think thats just the Ronseal staining, and if it [i]is[/i] pieces of wood, then no, its not normal.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1340053245' post='1698452']
i think thats just the Ronseal staining, and if it [i]is[/i] pieces of wood, then no, its not normal.
[/quote]
That's reassuring! It is hard to tell on that bass, but it looks to me as if on the smallest patch (a ring just over an inch or so wide) the grain doesn't match. I'm just wondering if this is a repair and means the bass took a bit of a knock some time.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1340101866' post='1698988']
That's reassuring! It is hard to tell on that bass, but it looks to me as if on the smallest patch (a ring just over an inch or so wide) the grain doesn't match. I'm just wondering if this is a repair and means the bass took a bit of a knock some time.
[/quote]

that is the least of my worries

I don't get it though.... original 60's fender at top price OK
fender 60's neck at top price..... ok

this

is just a carved lump of wood. I could make one of these!