Why become a member? ×

NOW VERY NEARLY SOLD - Musicman Stingray 5 Fretted 1989

grelum

I very, very rarely ever play this classic which got a lot of use by me between 1989 and 1997.

It has been virtually mothballed since then with the exception of a week's playing in November 2010 when it was played in Sunshine on Leith in the Theater Royal Windsor. I now almost exclusively use my Status fretless with my own band and would like to get hold of a Status Series 2 - 5 string (carbon thru body headless to match my fretless).

The Ray is black with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. There are 4 chips on the body; 3 along the bottom and one on the upper waist as shown in the photographs. There is the usual buckle rash on the back although this is fairly minor. The varnish on the neck (I think around the 5th - 7th fret level - I'll check) has been dented/chipped. I have not found this to get in the way of my playing at all. The electrics are in great order and it is fitted with Dunlop straploks.

I can supply a gig bag (extra £10) or Hiscox case (extra £45) if required.

I would like £900 for this or the best closest offer (plus the cost of shipping and case if required). I hope I have properly linked to the photos on Flickr here:

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/grelum/sets/72157630059929485/[/media]

Edited by grelum

I think you're right Pete. If you look at the paperwork it lists the magnets as Alnico. I confess I'm not well up on the technicalities but always loved (and love) the sound and the simplicity of being able to switch sounds with he flick of a switch (series/parallel etc).

When I got the bass I wanted something that would excel at both finger and slap styles and this was the one for me giving a chunkier and more bass like noise (as compared to; eg Alembic, Wal, Status etc).

I traded my old Status Series II 4 string fretted for the predecessor to this (an older SR 4 fretted which was stolen).

I paid top whack for my 2010 SR5 to get the Alnico magnets, up to 2007 have ceramic from early 90's and have a totally different sound to a regular SR4 which I have grown to like since adding my very late last of the ceramic SR5.

I think you also get a true single coil option which some concider the holy grail! :)

• 2 weeks later...

A few more photos of the beast attached.

For the sake of originality I have now replaced the strap locks and put the original strap buttons back on.

Edited by grelum

OMFG! black, rosewood SR5 with alnicos....absolutely perfect & just what my heart desires.

if only I had the money!!!!!

fabulous bass and it will make someone very happy!!!
(.......sound of Mike scurrying off to see if he could scrape the readies together!!!!)

The neck started as matt but over the years it got shiny with use. I'd now call it shiny matt or semi gloss :)

Afraid my bathroom scales are on the blink so I can't weigh it tonight. It's no lightweight but that too describes the sound... just lovely.

This very much looks as though it is now sold subject to payment going through.

Thank you all for your generous comments. I will miss the beast but it should be played and I haven't played it regularly for ages.