Why become a member? ×

Uriah Duffy

peteb

Coverdale's new bass player shows the stuff he doesn't get to play with Whitesnake:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs-sENAcLGo&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs-sENAcLGo&NR=1[/url]

He’s just mucking around here, but pretty impressive!

For some reason I read the topic as "Urrrgh Buffy" and was going to come and post some gentle ribbing about making sure you clean up afterwards.

I'm saddened that I cannot do so.

However I did watch the video, the bloke can slap quite well.

[quote]It aint pretty but it will show different ways you can keep a groove going with no drums or click track. It's putting all that technique together WHILE feeling a GROOVE under each lil piece. I'll replace this with a better one in a week or so, maybe even with something planned out.[/quote]

I'm quite disappointed by his time-keeping to be honest. He says he's showing bassists how to keep a groove going without drums or a click track but his time is quite sloppy in places.

Having said that, it sounds like he was tired and pressed the record button before he really had an idea of what kind of thing he might play. He's got some very good chops though. I'd like to see the next video.

What I'm most disappointed about is that he plays with Whitesnake but still has to have a room-mate! Pay the guy a decent fee!

yeah not really all that... the guy he's just replaced in the 'snake however is a bit handy:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcdxYSsIuq8"]Marco Mendoza live at NAMM[/url]

shows how alot of rock players can actually play other stuff too.

peace

c

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='184212' date='Apr 23 2008, 11:28 PM']I often wonder why bassists who don't think this is "real bass playing" actually bother doing it? Does it somehow make you a better bassist if you can play stuff that isn't "real bass"??[/quote]

I get irritated over the Pick/Slap/Fingers/thumb debate and what is proper playing. I can't do slap and sometimes I use a pick. Does that mean I'm not playing properly? You can do stuff and get sounds with a pick that you can't any other way, same with fingers and slap. Surely playing is playing whether you use the above, your elbows, toes, nose, the cat or even a bow (I've seen a violin bow used a few times - sounded amazing). If it's good enough for Jimi... :) Surely it's about the sound you're after and how you feel most comfortable playing and what works for you? Just MHO anyway. :huh: Sorry - didn't mean to rant.

BTW - seen WS several times and I preferred Neil Murray. And Colin is one of my favourite players - ever.

[quote name='FJ1200' post='184299' date='Apr 24 2008, 08:53 AM']I get irritated over the Pick/Slap/Fingers/thumb debate and what is proper playing. I can't do slap and sometimes I use a pick. Does that mean I'm not playing properly? You can do stuff and get sounds with a pick that you can't any other way, same with fingers and slap. Surely playing is playing whether you use the above, your elbows, toes, nose, the cat or even a bow (I've seen a violin bow used a few times - sounded amazing). If it's good enough for Jimi... :huh: Surely it's about the sound you're after and how you feel most comfortable playing and what works for you? Just MHO anyway. ;) Sorry - didn't mean to rant.

BTW - seen WS several times and I preferred Neil Murray. And Colin is one of my favourite players - ever.[/quote]
Absolutely - if you can get a cool sound out of it, do it... and if playing above the 12th fret is inappropriate for bass, why are the frets there? IMO, if the sound comes from a bass guitar, it's real bass playing - although I might have to draw the line at playing mobile phone ringtones through the pick-ups :) Anyway, it just annoys me a bit when people say some playing is wrong because it's not normal!
Mind you, I've yet to get my cat in on the act - I'll see what she says...

[quote name='3V17C' post='182561' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:35 AM']yeah not really all that... the guy he's just replaced in the 'snake however is a bit handy:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcdxYSsIuq8"]Marco Mendoza live at NAMM[/url]

shows how alot of rock players can actually play other stuff too.

peace

c[/quote]

When i saw WS a couple of years ago at the Arena he was playing with them.
I thought at the time he was a bit over the top for this sort of band.
He was up front a lot and moving about and pulling all the "rock" faces but it left me feeling that he was taking something away form Coverdale
and how i remember WS
They came across and David Coverdale and some American session pro's
Plus, a 6 string Bass in WS? Cant see the point.

Ill wait to get slated but this is how it struck me.

I`ve seen Marco play a couple of timed now, once with Coverdale`s TrouserSnake (errr, sorry; I meant Whitesnake), and once with the re-vamped Thin Lizzy. Both times I saw him he was playing a 4 stringer.

To be perfectly honest, he`s nothing short of being the best "Bassist for hire" in the business.

Just my 2penny`s worth

Mark

[quote name='wmsheep' post='184671' date='Apr 24 2008, 05:18 PM']I`ve seen Marco play a couple of timed now, once with Coverdale`s TrouserSnake (errr, sorry; I meant Whitesnake), and once with the re-vamped Thin Lizzy. Both times I saw him he was playing a 4 stringer.

To be perfectly honest, he`s nothing short of being the best "Bassist for hire" in the business.

Just my 2penny`s worth

Mark[/quote]

Im not knocking him at all. very good player and great showman.
Its just i felt WS only needed one showman that night.

[quote name='chris_b' post='184453' date='Apr 24 2008, 12:27 PM'].... getting back to the UD video..... I think it's great, warts and all. Don't analyse it, just "get" what he's doing.[/quote]
+1 - I thought it was pretty cool for a video posted on youtube!

It always amuses me when people look at a successful player and start finding imaginary faults! I’m sure that a guy who has been hired by such diverse talents as David Coverdale, Christina Aguilera, etc will:
a) be able to play in time; and
:) have a certain confidence in his playing

Just because hes really good at some aspects of playing doesn't mean hes great at all aspects. It is good playing but the flaws are obvious, and no you don't have to be able to play better than someone in order to be able to spot and point out the flaws in their playing.

Edited by Oscar South