Why become a member? ×

Covering a bass body with fabric

Twigman

I know it's a silly Q and most of you will cringe at the thought but I want to cover a bass body with fabric (perhaps upholstery fabric).

How would I go about it?

Does anyone know any online instructions on how this might be done?

Anyone got an old p-bass body that they don't want that i can do this to?

IF - it was me - big IF - I'd do the front and back in two halves, using spray on glue so that you can cut the cavities. Before I started I'd cut a groove all the way around the edge of the body about a half-inch deep where the two halves would overlap. Once the glue was dry tuck the edges into the groove & then seal them in with the piping that's used on an amp or cab.

IF - it was me.

BUT - you'd have to seal it somehow so that any spilt drinks or sweat didn't stain it, which would make me more inclined into seeing if it's possible to get S/A vinyl with a giraffe print on it, kinda like the skins that Rick Parfitt was doing.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1339679177' post='1692539']
BUT - you'd have to seal it somehow so that any spilt drinks or sweat didn't stain it, which would make me more inclined into seeing if it's possible to get S/A vinyl with a giraffe print on it, kinda like the skins that Rick Parfitt was doing.
[/quote]
Sealing it would spoil the touchy feely effect of it.....Unsealed would allow it to get soiled which ain't no bad thing.....

Liking the idea of locking in with piping in a groove...HMMMM food for thought

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1339679177' post='1692539']
IF - it was me - big IF - I'd do the front and back in two halves, using spray on glue so that you can cut the cavities. Before I started I'd cut a groove all the way around the edge of the body about a half-inch deep where the two halves would overlap. Once the glue was dry tuck the edges into the groove & then seal them in with the piping that's used on an amp or cab.

IF - it was me.

[/quote]

++10 for this way.

Didnt someone make Rexine ( like coloured tolex ) covered guitars and basses in the early 70s. Cant remember much about them, but they were definitely around. Bit like a smaller SG shape I think. My mate had a 2 tone one. Might be somebody on here old enough to remember them.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339680150' post='1692554']
[center]SLAG[/center]
[/quote]

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339680150' post='1692554']Unsealed would allow it to get soiled which ain't no bad thing.....[/quote]

:blink:

:lol:

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339680150' post='1692554']Liking the idea of locking in with piping in a groove...HMMMM food for thought
[/quote]
I was thinking along the lines of it wouldn't be that strong and cloth would get worn away easily if you do a lot of playing sat down.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339676594' post='1692471']
I know it's a silly Q and most of you will cringe at the thought but I want to cover a bass body with fabric (perhaps upholstery fabric).

How would I go about it?

Does anyone know any online instructions on how this might be done?

Anyone got an old p-bass body that they don't want that i can do this to?
[/quote]

I havent a clue but I would imagine it to be very difficult to make the fabric mould around the contours of a bass body. Cutting it to do that would be tricky in novice hands. If its patterned where would the patterns meet when trimmed etc etc. Then there is the issue of where to seam it. The moto here I think would be "Dont just do it, think about it".

Your best bet? Go to your local College Design dept. and ask them. They would love to get thier teeth into that sort of thing. :)

A

Edit: for being distracted before hitting post button and being superseeded

Edited by apa

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1339680308' post='1692562']
cloth would get worn away easily if you do a lot of playing sat down.
[/quote]
not planning on actually playing it more than maybe one rehearsal and maybe a gig if the rest of the band let me...

LOL

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1339681495' post='1692602']
Have you perhaps misunderstood the comments of your colleagues when they suggested that the band needed some new material
[/quote]

:lol: He could cover 'This Here Giraffe' by Flaming Lips.

I think you need to look at this like a professional would and a pro in this case would be an upholsterer. I am thinking a shell for the front and back which could have the material tightly layer over it and stapled underneath and would come together like a well fitted casing. Total ball ache of a job