Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which passive jazz pups?

Bay Splayer

just ordered a SX jazz bass and i expect i will more than likely change the pick ups.

any recommendations on a decent pair of [b]PASSIVE[/b] jazz pups? :)

dont wanna break the bank as this will be a back up bass, i also want passive as my other bass is active.

i have only recently started playing again after a ten year break.
when i was playing, EMG and seymour duncan were quite popular.

[quote name='uptonmark' post='181982' date='Apr 21 2008, 04:49 PM']just ordered a SX jazz bass and i expect i will more than likely change the pick ups.

any recommendations on a decent pair of [b]PASSIVE[/b] jazz pups? :)

dont wanna break the bank as this will be a back up bass, i also want passive as my other bass is active.

i have only recently started playing again after a ten year break.
when i was playing, EMG and seymour duncan were quite popular.[/quote]

More a case of 'witch' passive J pups at the mo!!

Try these
[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass[/url]

And if you look around the site more you'll find a bunch of us raving about them.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='181989' date='Apr 21 2008, 04:56 PM']WizardWizardWizardWizardWizard[/quote]

Wizards are certainly gaining a good reputation......

For a more modern take on the Jazz Bass sound try some Sadowky Single Coils - I had them installed in a pretty ordinary bass and they transformed it !

Can't go wrong with the Wizards though !!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='181984' date='Apr 21 2008, 04:54 PM']More a case of 'witch' passive J pups at the mo!!
[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass[/url][/quote]
Ba-dum, tish!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='181984' date='Apr 21 2008, 04:54 PM']And if you look around the site more you'll find a bunch of us raving about them.[/quote]
Raving? More like dribbling. Oh, the pads leaking...
84's all the way.

Edited by johnnylager

www.basspartsresource.com is a good place to get Fender (and other) replacement pick-ups.

Have bought from there before, uick delivery and nice price. Didn't pay customs either which was a bonus, but obviously no guarantee on that front. If you're dropping in replacements on a MIM jazz, it's worth checking the distance between the centres on the mounting screwholes for both pick-ups. The US Fenders have a slightly larger bridge pick-up and most replacement pick-ups follow that convention. Until recently, the MIM pick-ups were both the same size and a set of Bartolinis I got to put in a MIM Jazz V required some reshaping of the routing, not major work or anything, but I had to sand away a significant mm or two of the polyester laqcuer to be able to fit them.

Probably wise to check measurements on any of the cheaper basses before dropping cash on pick-ups that won't fit.

While you're at it, it's probably worthwhile spending an extra £20 or so on some decent audio taper pots so you can get the most from those pick-ups.

[quote name='uptonmark' post='182054' date='Apr 21 2008, 05:51 PM']looking for lots of bottom end

play mainly fingerstyle but do slap plenty

which would suit best.........64`s or 84`s ........ i`m guessing 84`s but correct me if i`m wrong[/quote]

I put 84's in my Mex Jazz. Lots of bottom end , plenty of output and nothing extreme in the middle to annoy me. Mellow and useful sound.
The 64's I haven't heard but are more of a trad sound - give them a ring , you'll find them very helpful folk.