Why become a member? ×

Hello from Mr Fretbuzz

Mr Fretbuzz

Hi guys and thanks Jon for telling me about the site. I'm a newbie since January. I'm on a Squire P Bass at the moment but a Fender AM Standard 2012 MN CCOLA is on its way to me. Just got a 15 w Fender practice amp at the moment. read a few books, had a few lessons, and I'm working on the new Rockschool syllabus Grade 3. I live near Port Talbot. Regards, Paul :-)

Iron Maiden bass player and leader.
I guess you have the right to not know him :D
Anyway, he plays in a specific way and the strings hitting frets are part of this trademark sound, hence my question.
Cheers!

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1339351292' post='1687294']
Thanks for your welcomes and Bert...... You'll never play for Iron Maiden then :-)
[/quote]

Oh. Then I probably wrote it wrongly, but I tried to express that my fretbuzz has been first class since day one. Don't even need to practise on it. I'm a natural. Maiden would be happy to have me. ;)

PS, I'm a total noob. :)

Welcome Mr Fretbuzz,

Hope you have fun in your journey of learning the Bass, as advice I would say listen to as many different musical styles as possible listening to their rhythms and the bass technique used. I'm also a great believer in learning initially without amplification as I believe (right or wrong) it helps build stronger hands and wrists (as you have to player harder to hear anything :-)) and also helps with your finger placement on the fretboard.

I looked at those Rock School books for my 9 year old son and I think they're quite good, have you taken any of the tests?

Cheers

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1339362927' post='1687571'](...) I'm also a great believer in learning initially without amplification as I believe (right or wrong) it helps build stronger hands and wrists (as you have to player harder to hear anything :-)) and also helps with your finger placement on the fretboard.
[/quote]
I strongly disagree. Ampless playing's good for testing out the bass quality, but playing without the amp for long time brings out more problems than profits. First and foremost, when you'll finally plug in, you'll discover your articulation is wrong and nearly everything that sounded OK 'dry' is wrong when amplified. Plus, some techniques won't sound good without amplification, which brings frustration.
And 'playing harder' isn't necessarily the good thing. You have to pull the strings properly, not strongly; that's a common beginner mistake. Playing bass (or any other instrument) good is like a good driving: it's not about the power used, but the 'safe delivery'. On the road a speed record won't help you if you'll finish as a red spot on the tree surrounded by candles or broken engine. On the stage powerfull pulling of strings won't help you sound good if you'll break the string. :)

• 1 month later...