Why become a member? ×

Burns 'Flyte' Basses

StevieC

Hi all,

Last night the guitarist in our band brought along a Burns 'Flyte' bass he bought in 1977. It's a four stringer (naturally) with a weird double-wing
body, large chromed pick-ups and a very pointy headstock. It's finished in a creamy yellow gloss, and has volume and tone rotaries and a pick up selector swtich.

I tried it out and unfortunately it doesn't sound good to my ears. Compared to my Fender Jazz, the output is really low and thin-sounding but perhaps that was what Burns basses were like back then. It's quite playable with a shallow, fast neck and low action.

I thought I'd impose on the collective brain power of the BC ers to find out a bit more about this bass, so what's the story, and do people still collect these basses?

Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers, Steve.

Edited by StevieC

There's a little information here : [url="http://www.burnsguitarmuseum.com/bass2.html"]Burns Guitar Museum[/url]

and a restoration with lots of info here : [url="http://aussiechat2000.com.au/flyte/"]Burns Flyte[/url]

Andy :)

Edited by backwater

• 14 years later...

(Necro-thread...)

I was out and about yesterday and I came across a Burns Flyte bass; it looked like it had been overpainted black which is starting to flake off.

The seller asked £795, I said I was thinking £500 and they replied they could do £650.

I think that is still too much for me, given the finish, but it seemed OK otherwise, though I didn't try plugging it in (no point if price was off).

I don't recall having seen one since they were in the shops in the 70s, but rarity and value don't necessarily go hand-in-hand .

Any thoughts?

I remember when Slade used these, so I do have a soft spot for them.

Aren't purchases like this all about the chase and haggle?  If he's come down £100, offer him £525 and walk away.  Inevitably they'll come down again, then meet them halfway.

There are some ridiculous prices out there for 100% original ones.  Just stress it'll need refinishing etc. and look at it from the project perspective.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I remember when Slade used these, so I do have a soft spot for them.

Aren't purchases like this all about the chase and haggle?  If he's come down £100, offer him £525 and walk away.  Inevitably they'll come down again, then meet them halfway.

There are some ridiculous prices out there for 100% original ones.  Just stress it'll need refinishing etc. and look at it from the project perspective.

Aye - I've stepped away from a couple of other instruments lately which I'd really like, but they went past my maximum.

A Unicorn popped up on the local online buy&sell , kijiji. I dawdled and an old friend snagged it. I prefer short scales these days and was somewhat relieved , and yet somehow he wound up flipping it to me to buy something else a couple of weeks later.

The Unicorn is a great bass! Mine is the RUB-1095 Deluxe with a fat old humbucker on the bridge. Very nicely made , very enjoyable neck. Great sounding thing. And it just fits a Les Paul guitar case!
Recently another rare Riverhead Jupiter popped up for sale and I convinced my buddy to grab it.
Unfortunately production ceased after the factory in Japan burned down in the late 80’s.

29FA7219-AE6C-4A56-BA79-2D610387E440.jpeg

Edited by msb
  • Like 1

On 21/04/2008 at 14:51, StevieC said:

I have to admit, those Riverhead basses actually look better than the Burns. I wonder if there was a legal case over the
'ever-so-slight' similarity?

The Jupiter looks like it was influenced too , but they did give it a distinctive headstock! 

5E85AA89-605F-4AD0-8262-2E54166A28B2.webp

08B66733-334A-4D91-ACAC-1B666BF1EADA.jpeg