Why become a member? ×

Warwick Fortress from 1994. Which type of neck? Slim or baseball bat?

BELA

Hi everybody!

I have spotted a nice Fortress One bass from 1994.

Does it have the slimmer neck of the early Warwicks or at that time they did sport the (as some people call them) "baseball bat" neck.

Thanks for the info

My 93 Fortress has the best neck and lowest action of anything I've ever played, period. They're very slim necks, not like any other Warwick I've played. IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc.

I should add that mine's an early one, with the non-volute headstock and the odd chamfers in the front of the body either side of the neck joint.

It's still a bloody awful colour, mind...

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1338581985' post='1676902']
Another 94 slim necked green machine here... Love my Fortress, especially now it's passive with wizards ;)....great basses
[/quote]

Yep, the Fortress really suits the Wizards (or maybe I just don't like MECs).

I'd say it'll be at least as good as a modern German made one, if not better. The secondhand prices of Warwicks are way below their quality. Dunno why.

You can currently get 3 neck shapes on 4-string basses, with the additional broad-neck option on 5 and 6 string basses. The standard profile is back to being slim C-shape, with a very slim profile as an option. The U-shape chunky profile is still an option as well.

Edited by Warwick_Official

What about the trus rod?
Should I worry about it?

I think I have read some bad things about early Warwicks and broken rods...or maybe not.

The purchase would be on-line so I cannot check it out myself.

[quote name='BELA' timestamp='1338896296' post='1680673']
What about the trus rod?
Should I worry about it?

I think I have read some bad things about early Warwicks and broken rods...or maybe not.

The purchase would be on-line so I cannot check it out myself.
[/quote]
Didn't the early Warwicks have removable trussrods, so if there was a problem you could replace it? I can't remember when they stopped that, but I'd guess it might have been around '96/'97 when they started putting volutes on. So you shouldn't need to worry about a '94.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1338914842' post='1681022']
Didn't the early Warwicks have removable trussrods, so if there was a problem you could replace it? I can't remember when they stopped that, but I'd guess it might have been around '96/'97 when they started putting volutes on. So you shouldn't need to worry about a '94.
[/quote]

You are 100% right.
According to my Thumb NT´s user kit, they started using the "modern" trussrods and volutes in 1996 for bolt-on basses (1998 for nt models).
Before that they were removable.

Thanks for clarifying

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1338918061' post='1681105']
The truss rod is removable up through 1996 models. Its a simple replacement - the process can be seen in the video here: [url="http://warwick.de/modules/infos/info.php?katID=24168&cl=EN"]http://warwick.de/mo...tID=24168&cl=EN[/url] Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with!
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer.
I really like the bass and really like the idea of playing a slim wenge neck.
I already have to Warwicks (Thumb NT4 and Streamer LX5) and I have not played to date a better sounding combo that the ovangkol neck and wenge fingerboard (the frets are also important) I LOVE IT.
Of course that´s my opinion and taste.

The problem with this Fortress is that I can not test it or even see it in person. It would be an internet purchase so I would like to be sure that the bass won´t have any mayor issues.

Final question:

This 1994 model has the electronics´ cover fixed with screws. No easy access type.
Is that allright?

Back in 1992 I had a Streamer Bolt-on that I think it also had the screwed cover, but I am not 100% sure...