Why become a member? ×

Can you recommend a drum machine to practise with?

stefBclef

Happy Friday everybody,

I wasn't sure where best to post this but settled here as my quest for a drum machine is purely based on wanting to practise and improve...

Everytime I read an article or post about how important it is for us bass players to sit and spend a lot of time with our good old friend the metronome, I promise myself that I am going to build that kind of practise into my routine.

After watching a Victor Wooten / Anthony Wellington video, (in which they used a drum loop) I thought that using a drum loop instead of a metronome may be a lot more agreeable and inviting.

Is it generaly agreed that you can use either or? Or is there something to be said to keeping to the pure and simple click of a metronome?

Do you practise with a drum loop? If so, do you have a cheap, simple to use drum machine that you recommend?

Ta Muchly
Stef

Got an iPhone or a good smart phone of some description? Loads of good tools that are super cheap on phones, cheaper than a drum machine.

Guitartoolkit on the iPhone is fantastic, not sure if it's available on Android devices. Masses of different time signatures, tap tempo, tuner etc. All in a phone costing less than a quid with no need to program in beats. If you want some beats to groove to though, try Instantdrummer. I use these two a lot and it's a great way to get good beats down without programming and get some practice done.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1338548828' post='1676104']
Got an iPhone or a good smart phone of some description? Loads of good tools that are super cheap on phones, cheaper than a drum machine.

[/quote]

Thanks. I am one of the few people left without a smartphone actually...and to add to my archaicness, the room I practise in has no internet, so no online thingys will do it for me.

That said, I am due an upgrade in September so smartphones/apps are looming in the not-too-distant future.

The venerable Alesis SR16 can be had for very little money these days, still pretty good-sounding and versatile; downside would be that as it's only got 1/4 jack outputs you'd need a mixer or some means of connecting a line out to your amp.

Personally I reckon it's well worth practising with a drum machine rather than a click, helps with groove etc...

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1338549358' post='1676114']
Thanks. I am one of the few people left without a smartphone actually...and to add to my archaicness, the room I practise in has no internet, so no online thingys will do it for me.

That said, I am due an upgrade in September so smartphones/apps are looming in the not-too-distant future.
[/quote]

It's amazing what you can get these days on a phone. My phone is a camera, organiser, field recorder, tuner and games machine. Quite incredible really...

I practice with the simple drum beats on the Zoom B3, there's quite a few on there, and you can either plug it into your amp or headphones :D I haven't looked into it loads yet so I don't know if there are any odd time signature beats on there like 7/8 for example but still! :)

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1338549366' post='1676115']
The venerable Alesis SR16 can be had for very little money these days, still pretty good-sounding and versatile; downside would be that as it's only got 1/4 jack outputs you'd need a mixer or some means of connecting a line out to your amp.

Personally I reckon it's well worth practising with a drum machine rather than a click, helps with groove etc...
[/quote]

I agree with both points, especially the last one.

I have an old Yamaha metronome that I used to practice with but the 'ping pong pong pong' sound got on my nerves and drove me to stop playing quite quickly. I bought an SR-16 and it was so much better to practice with, leading to me playing for longer.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1338584618' post='1676956']
The Korg Pandora has a load of drum patterns, as well as many other useful features for a practice anywhere solution. I had the older PX3B but I'm sure the current models have the same if not more features.
[/quote]

You got me interested in a Pandora and turns out they are quite sought after these days! This one went for £78.50!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320915905528?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649#ht_2178wt_1185"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320915905528?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649#ht_2178wt_1185[/url]

I may have go down the Alesis route!

Thanks
Stef

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked with lots of live drummers get a Alesis SR16 as you only have to punch the information in once, easy to use, sound very good and don't smell unlike the latter.......... Oh and I may have 1 for sale £55 delivered.

Edited by bouvier

If you can find a copy then "Drum Machine Rhythm Dictionary" by Sandy Feldstein is a great book. Basically gives you drum settings for umpteen different styles fron Rock to Tango Waltz and whilst written for the Roland drum machine is portable to any. I use it in conjunction with Hydrogen (freeware) for making backing tracks.

Steve