Why become a member? ×

Aerodyne P-bass, anybody played one?

jackers

Hey all,

I've recently had a large amoount of P-bass GAS, and have been looking at several, including an Aerodyne P. However, I have never tried one, and I was wondering what people thought of them? I have had 2 aerodyne Js before, and I really liked them. Are the Aerodyne Ps similar? Also, does the P pickup soloed sound like a solo P pickup should?

Cheers for any help :)

I tried one last week and I thought it looked stunning. Light obviously, being a jap fender. The tone control (for me) was far too sensitive and I found myself twiddling with them like I was trying to crack a safe. It made for very uneven volume and whilst I am sure if i had 30 mins extra, i would have gotten there. MASSIVE volume from the E string and hardly anything from the rest and visa-versa. Too much like hard work. Pretty much the anti thesis of a Nicki Sixx Signature Thunderbird

Incidentally, I had just played a Stingray, then a ray 34 and THEN the Fender and I much preferred the ray 34, which was £150 cheaper.

thanks for your reply :) interesting you should mention the massive volume difference between the E string and the rest, because I found that with my aerodyne Js aswell. It really bugged me, because it was the only issue with what would have otherwise been my dream bass. Is this a general problem with aerodynes?

I have two and really like them. The pick-ups are Fender Japan and slightly weaker than US ones and so I have changed mine but I think later ones have different pick-ups. The body styling and matching headstock look great and they're nice and light.

As with all Japanese Fenders, build quality is outstanding.

I have one and I love it.

The problem with the louder E string is perhaps due to the stock string they put on. I have some very old slinkies on mine, I lowered the upper side of the split pickup, and the volume is pretty even. I like a bit of extra oomph when hitting the low E hard though.

Soundwise, it's perhaps smoother and less hot than some of its american brethren, but it's my go-to bass for most situations. It sounds at least good with most amps.

• 5 months later...

Hi all!
Has anyone tried the Eerodyne with B E A D strings on it?
On some of my basses , -78 P-bass for example, I cannot put these strings on because the bridge is mounted to close to the neck so that it is impossible to get intonation right on the B-string.
Also I wonder about what is mentioned above regarding the louder lowest string. Would perhaps a B string add even more to this problem? Tilting the pickup is always an option....

I've got one. Love it. Does the P-bass thing really well. Plays very fast too. Looks great and is light. The only downside for me is the Jazz pickup - extremely weak. But I guess that would be an easy fix if I wanted to fix it.

the issue with the uneven volumes on the strings - thats quite interesting that other folk find that. I have noticed it, but I honestly thought it was due to my own non-pro set up.

I've never tried the P, but not had any problems with the E string volume on my J and I am relatively picky about these things. I think it's currently wearing D'Addarios. The stock pickups are very fat sounding, it has the 'thickest' tone of any of my basses with a lot of low-mid punch.

I have an Aerodyne Classic Precision Special (the actual complete title :D ) bass as well.
Got it couple years ago in here from a fellow BassChatter (thanks Chris).

A wonderful bass. A P and a J but also with a twist. A relatively light bass but (relatively) heavy in sound. I still have the original pups (with 45-105 Infeld Superalloys) on it but there was a small but noticeable difference when I changed the neck one to a Wizard trad. and the bridge to a Fender Noiseless.
For some uknown reason that I am still trying to expain to myself (but he is so thick that he doesn't get it) I swithtched back to the originals. They are not bad at all, if somewhat aggresive as the previous posters mentioned but usually that doesn't bother me at all.

What bothers me is the binding, although adds to the looks, makes the positioning of the forearm on the upper cut a bit painfull after a while.
It bothers me that the bridge is recessed to the body so altenative bridge options are limited
It bothers me that the pot cavity is shallow and can accomodate only mini pots.
It bothers me that looks very posh and glossy and oppreses the (few at my age remaining traces of the) punk rock care-no-less-for-bumps-and-such attitude.

But it is a light, quite resonant bass with wonderful curves and trully excellent fit and finish (although I would paint the back of the body with solid colour since basswood isn't really a visually beautiful wood for see-through choices).

Special mention goes to the excellent neck with a nut of 40mm (between jazz & p) with substantial girth (but not annoyingly so for us finger-length challenged pretend-to-be players). Good quality rosewood, satin finish and similarly with the body painted headstock, complete the picture. Could use slightly better tuners though.

All in all, to me at least, a beautiful bass.

Just my 2 eurocents (and that's all I have left) :D

Edited by Audiokostas

• 2 months later...

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one.

Does anyone have a problem with the volume controls on their Aerodyne Jazz? It's not a massive issue; but mine seems to increase in volume as the knob is turned until it gets to about four fifths of the way round then it sort of muffles and gets quieter.

I have read about this issue before but no amount of searching is bringing anything up now.

Any ideas?

[quote name='bengreen49' timestamp='1357855404' post='1929717']
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one.

Does anyone have a problem with the volume controls on their Aerodyne Jazz? It's not a massive issue; but mine seems to increase in volume as the knob is turned until it gets to about four fifths of the way round then it sort of muffles and gets quieter.

I have read about this issue before but no amount of searching is bringing anything up now.

Any ideas?
[/quote]
Sounds like you are plugged into a low-impedance input. Can you give a full description of what you are plugged into, including pedals/cables/preamp/amp.