Why become a member? ×

Warwick Short Scale Corvette

Patrick

Hi,

I’m interested in a short scale bass. Warwick have released one relatively recently that is built in China and I can’t seem to find a comprehensive and impartial review …. no one seems to stock it but they can get it in … can anyone out there tell me of real experiences with this guitar and any views on the quality of the basses from the Chinese factory.

I am currently playing an Ibanez SR90 (long scale) which I like but I have a damaged left hand and can’t use my little finger so I’m starting to find it frustrating with some of the faster stuff I want to do. Also it goes through batteries (it’s active) like nobody’s business so I would like to get a passive bass to remove that possible on-stage embarrassment (I’ve had a few close calls).

I play predominantly sixties/seventies rock/pop so I don’t do any tricky thumb slappin’ stuff – I’m looking for a more traditional thick blues bass sound (I know – buy Fender P .. but I just don’t like the feel).

Any (positive) thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks.

I will give you some details as comprehensive as possible, and you can decide on impartiality! The current Rockbass line has seen quite a few upgrades. They are made from the finest tonewoods (alder is standard), with 2 piece bodies, and available in a natural satin or black high polish finish. Bolt-on Maple neck with Ekanga veneers, and Rosewood fingerboard. The short scale is 30 3/4" and the medium scale is 32". They feature the Just-a-Nut III, and the exact same 2-piece 3D bridges, security strap locks, machine heads, and pickups that are used on the high-end German built models.They are available with either the Active MEC J/J pickups and Active 2 way electronics, or the Passive MEC J/J pickups and Passive electronics. They are offered in right-handed models, and left-hand models at no extra charge. In my opinion they are a great value for a high quality bass. I played both the short and medium scale versions at NAMM this year, and thought their tone and playability were unmatched. They are now being produced under strict supervision at the factory in China, and quality control is a priority. I hope this helps...best of luck!

Edited by Warwick_Official

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1337776379' post='1665245']...They feature the Just-a-Nut III, and the exact same 2-piece 3D bridges, security strap locks, machine heads, and electronics that are used on the high-end German built models....
[/quote]
When you say the "exact same ... electronics" you mean the same pickups, right? Or are the preamps now the same as the 2-band fitted on the (cheaper) German Warwicks?

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1337776379' post='1665245']... and quality control is a priority. I hope this helps...best of luck!
[/quote]
Which is just as well, because QC on the old RBs was poor and overlooked such details as getting the bridge and pickups in the right place:

Mart: The Rockbass line is fitted with the same pickups and hardware as the German basses, the preamp is a different version. Many of these changes were implemented to assure greater consistency, as well as to offer great quality - even in a budget instrument. Quality control is closely monitored, to prevent any issues of the past arising in the future. Thanks!

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1337786441' post='1665458']
Mart: The Rockbass line is fitted with the same pickups and hardware as the German basses, the preamp is a different version. Many of these changes were implemented to assure greater consistency, as well as to offer great quality - even in a budget instrument. Quality control is closely monitored, to prevent any issues of the past arising in the future. Thanks!
[/quote]

Any plans for a shortscale Thumb Rockbass anytime soon?... :yarr:

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1337786549' post='1665460']
When I think of 60's/70's thick bluesy tone and short scale, I instantly think Gibson myself, as they were around on a lot of stuff from that era with a nice solid thud of a sound like you get from EB0's etc... :)[/quote]

Agreed. I got a chance to play the new Framus Vintage 5/150 Star Bass at Namm this year. It has all the vibe and tone of the classics... 30" scale length, 20 frets. Check it out! [url="http://www.framus.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=21340&katID=24305&cl=EN"]http://www.framus.de...tID=24305&cl=EN[/url]

Edited by Warwick_Official

Have a word with Paul Rose (aka Prosebass, and, more recently, Funnbass). Shortscale basses are his speciality, his prices are very reasonable, and I can vouch for the quality of his work. I've just placed an order with him for a 30" scale unlined 4 string fretless with ebony board based on his TErgo design.

• 7 months later...

I have had mine ,a lefty from Thomanns,for about three weeks gigged it twice,once with Warwick round wounds and once with LaBella Beatlebass 100 to 50 flats, which fit perfectly.its a great bass,well balanced,easy to play and with the flatwounds sounds brilliant for playing jazz.I would recommend one to anyone,but if your a lefty you will have trouble finding one in the UK.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

[quote name='hotlips' timestamp='1364374719' post='2025465']
Hi Gaucher

Can you tell me more about the bass ..... what s the action like ...............is the neck slim and fast or is it thick with heavy feel

I am a lefty and I dont BIG hands and I am considering buying one of these
[/quote]

i have small hands as well,and find it perfect.The action is a matter of taste and is ajustable,but there are a lot of variable in the adjustments available.It took me ages to get it how I wanted but once done it has never needed any more attention.The sound is very woody with a low end thump and the pickups are not as pokey as some so you needa bit of extra gain on the amp IMO but the sustain is fairly short.This is great for jazz stuff,after all its a bass not a shred machine.
Sorry for the late reply,you may already have found this out for yourself.

• 1 year later...

I cant seem to see the corvette rockbass medium scale in stock anywhere. is it still in production?
also is it possible to get other warwicks in this scale length?
is it possible to fit a bypass for the active circuit as in the german models, eq bypass can save a bit of embarrassment if a battery dies