Why become a member? ×

Teaching your own kids to play??

Jamesemt

Bought my daughter a crappy Bontempi pink classical (£25 off ebay :huh:), just to get her used to having a guitar around (shes only 16 months...).

Just wondered how anyone elses experiences were of teaching their kids.

I'm going to see if I can get her interested in the next couple of years. Must add that I'll try every year or so once she's a bit older, but she will NOT be pushed into anything she doesn't want to do (she's a firey little bugger anyway :) ). Wife is very keen on this (forced into Piano lessons when she was younger).

Any advice what to start with? Nursery rhymes? Theme tune to Fifi? ;) ;)

I'm trying to learn Peppa Pig.

I have an old crappy guitar that my daughter uses, she just messes with, sometimes we'll get the pans out in the kitchen and "jam", she loves it, just about making noise really at this stage. She's three so it's still very much bash bash bash at the moment.

EDIT to make sense!

Edited by Moody

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='180404' date='Apr 19 2008, 12:06 PM']Bought my daughter a crappy Bontempi pink classical (£25 off ebay :huh:), just to get her used to having a guitar around (shes only 16 months...).

Just wondered how anyone elses experiences were of teaching their kids.

I'm going to see if I can get her interested in the next couple of years. Must add that I'll try every year or so once she's a bit older, but she will NOT be pushed into anything she doesn't want to do (she's a firey little bugger anyway :) ). Wife is very keen on this (forced into Piano lessons when she was younger).

Any advice what to start with? Nursery rhymes? Theme tune to Fifi? ;) ;)[/quote]

got my grandkids Ukuleles... and a basic book for them with easy chords and strumming guides...

Lauren is old enough at almost 5 and she starts doing Uke in school in September anyway..., but Luke had to have one (he's not quite 3) and at only £15, I'm not too worried about it getting trashed... who knows... he might be the next guitar god in 15 years or so... Jimi Hendrix started out on one...

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppa pig
Peppa pig

All good suggestions, however [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A_RPhrTcWlE"]Charlie and Lola is where it's at, musically speaking[/url].

My daughter will get full support regardless of the instrument she (hopefully) chooses. We're just filling her world full of music and keeping our fingers crossed.

She loves 'Daddy-tar' and 'Mummy-lin', my basses & guitars and Mrs. WoT's violin, respectively...

I'd really love it if any of my kids decided they wanted to learn an instrument, my son is now 12 (the age I started looking and listening) but he's yet to show any interest :) I'd rather wait until he asks about my bass or music as opposed to saying "look son this is how you play bass...wanna go?" I think kids live in a different world these days, he's more interested in computers, making videos, starting his own web page :huh: Now, my daughter is a pop star, so she says...she's 6 and will always ask to have a look at a bass and gets a little disappointed when she can't sing along when she hears me play. If anyone is selling a mini bass give me a shout ;)

Don't worry Jase, my son's just turned 16 and he's only just this month finally decided to have a bash at it. I've got him a wee Behringer combo (with headphone socket, so it doesn't p1ss his mum off :)) and given him my old Squier Jazz to have a go with. If he shows promise and wants to carry on, I'll get him something decent of his own.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='180484' date='Apr 19 2008, 02:10 PM']Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppa pig
Peppa pig

All good suggestions, however [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A_RPhrTcWlE"]Charlie and Lola is where it's at, musically speaking[/url].[/quote]

Just showed that clip to my three year old, she loved it! Found this as well, for fans for Dora The Explorer [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25aKmQB10z8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25aKmQB10z8[/url]

After reading this, I'm serioulsy going to down the Uke root!

My eldest son is nearly 5 and he's had a 1/2 size classical guitar for over a year. He's easily big and strong enough to play it but he wants instant results and so he gives up after about 2 minutes so he hasn't really got to grips with it yet. He is however doing a play based scheme after school once a week called 'rhythm time' which is going very well. Maybe like me he won't respond well to be pushed into something too structured at a young age? I didn't pick up a bass until I was 25.

This is something that very much interests me.

I have relayed to others, on World Jazz, the St. Louis one, the children follow a sax player whilst beating pots, pans, and boxes in time. What a wonderful way to learn and develop rhythm. Likewise, obtaining a good ear/pitch and vocal strength in choir.

There [b]must[/b] be a study on child music development out there that explains how some people develop into having perfect pitch/good sense of rhythm.

I'm a 10/90 - nature/nurture guy.

I tried to teach middle stepson, who's 11, but he has the attention span of a goldfish and the rhythmic sensibility of a bluebottle trying to get out of a window. I think he's given it up after realising that it's something you have to work at (and that you don't get an extra life if you complete level three!)

Frustrating.....

:)