Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray Roasted Maple Neck

Scott_BASS

I'm sure there are some out there!!!

In fact they've just closed the books on an April only special run from premier dealerships - they were taking orders for Bongos, Rays, Reflex, Stingray with a special spec of honeyburst finish, mahogany body and roasted maple neck.

I was tempted, but at ~£1800-2200 depending on model it was a bit spendy for me.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1337097143' post='1655416']
I'm sure there are some out there!!!

In fact they've just closed the books on an April only special run from premier dealerships - they were taking orders for Bongos, Rays, Reflex, Stingray with a special spec of honeyburst finish, mahogany body and roasted maple neck.

I was tempted, but at ~£1800-2200 depending on model it was a bit spendy for me.
[/quote]

Interestingly these have a wax and oil finished birds eye maple neck (i.e not lacquered, unlike previous roasted necks) - I was very tempted as well, particularly by a mahog Ray, or a trans finish Bongo!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1337100184' post='1655485']
Nicks guitars had some, I guess he imported them himself?
[/quote]

Unless he went and bought them personally from dealers in the USA he won't have been able to. However, some clearly were ordered either by individuals through dealers or dealers for stock, as I've seen at least one black sugar/roasted birds eye neck Stingray used on Ebay in UK.

Worth bearing in mind that these count as limited edition - the non international sale by US dealers of EBMM guitars agreement expires in respect of limited editions after 3 yrs. There's some very nice stuff available at places like Guitar Centre and Bass Central as a result (special models created for Guitar Centre, some of which are very cool, are not included in this respect - per Sterling Ball response to query). They come up used on Ebay occassionally though.

I don't know about MusicMan but I am a few weeks from receiving a roasted neck to go with my Dingwall ABII bass which Sheldon has been kindly building for me, I can't wait.

Pics to follow, it will be a standard whole maple neck roasted with none of those tiger striped or birdseye maple effect.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1337216578' post='1657374']
I don't know about MusicMan but I am a few weeks from receiving a roasted neck to go with my Dingwall ABII bass which Sheldon has been kindly building for me, I can't wait.

Pics to follow, it will be a standard whole maple neck roasted with none of those tiger striped or birdseye maple effect.
[/quote]

What??? Oh dearie dearie me, that could spell disaster for my wallet in the medium term. :( :D

Picspicspicspicspicspleeeeease... :lol:

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337375062' post='1659154']
I thought the roasted thing was just a way of 'ageing' or drying the wood quicker to reduce the cost and time involved in creating wood suitable for a guitar neck.
[/quote]

i think it would still need to be good wood dried slow then roasted

speaking as a carpenter kiln dried timber is a pile of poo twisted and warped wood needs to dry slowly

Edited by mushers

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1337119081' post='1655946']

Unless he went and bought them personally from dealers in the USA he won't have been able to. However, some clearly were ordered either by individuals through dealers or dealers for stock, as I've seen at least one black sugar/roasted birds eye neck Stingray used on Ebay in UK.

[/quote]

How does this take anyones fancy?

[url="http://imageevent.com/nicksguitars/stingrayclassicbfrblackroastedneck"]http://imageevent.com/nicksguitars/stingrayclassicbfrblackroastedneck[/url]