Why become a member? ×

Any one play the Yangqin? (chinese dulcimer)

winterfire666

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1337147483' post='1656083']
Is that similar to a Gu Zheng?

If so I know someone else who is struggling with one and I could put you in touch for mutual support.

Steve
[/quote]
no its like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6h0UzPNjjk
quite a different beast really
although i bet that sounds cool they would probably compliment each other well

Ah! It's essentialy a hammer dulcimer or cimbolin (not sure I've spelt that right) although it sounds as if it's tuned pentatonic. There are books on hammer dulcimer that would get you your hand technique but I've not come across any that deal with the tuning. I suppose it depends what music you want to play. It would probably tune western if you wanted to.

Steve

• 8 months later...

I had to look the name up as I thought it was my particular favourite chinese instrument the du Xian Qin

[quote]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]The duxianqin (独弦琴, pinyin: dúxiánqín; lit. "single string zither") is a Chinese plucked string instrument with only one string. It is played using harmonics, with the string's tension varied by the use of a flexible rod manipulated with the left hand.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]The duxianqin is nearly identical to the Vietnamese đàn bầu, from which it is likely derived. Chinese sources describe it as being an instrument of the Jing (also spelled Gin or Kinh) ethnic group of China, who are ethnic Vietnamese living in China. Sometimes the body of the instrument is made from a large tube of bamboo rather than wood, which is more common in Vietnam. [/quote][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Not a great quality video showing off it's beautiful tone, [/size][/font][/color]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TElucXpWDkA

• 2 weeks later...