Why become a member? ×

5 string bass for flat tuning

Aj789

Hi people,

I am currently in the market for a new 5 string bass. Now I have a little issue as I have never played one in the band that I am currently in. The band plays in E flat tuning, I dont know if any 34" scale 5 strings are going to work alright or if they are going to be a bit loose and floppy on the low B (flat).
I have been looking at various basses like the Sterling ray35, Lakland 55-Aj, Fender MIM Jazz Deluxe V and various others. If someone could shed some light on how well these work in a flat tuning gig situation, even suggest me a few 5ers that make work better that would be great!

Btw I'm a bit new to this site so go easy on me lol. ;)

Aj

ha well i just dropped my ray 35 to Eb then realised a few weeks ago i was smashing through sweet child of mine with a few mates in that tuning so yeah ray 35 works fine

however Liam is right you could get a used stingray for similar money

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1337016403' post='1654089']
Why would you drop tune a fiver for Eb? One of it's plus points is the ability to play in Eb without retuning.
[/quote]

Because a 5 string doesn't have the open Eb,Ab,Db,Gb which some songs need.

Edited by MrTaff

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1337016403' post='1654089']
Why would you drop tune a fiver for Eb? One of it's plus points is the ability to play in Eb without retuning.
[/quote]

I was rather thinking the same thing! Unless for whatever reason you really needed a low Bb, then it would almost be a total impracticability. All you would need is to get used to getting around with that extra string without relying to heavily on open positions.

Maybe look at basses with longer then 34" scale for the extra tension it provides.

Ideally just adjust your playing to a standard tuned 5'er as all the notes are there except the low Bb :)

With lots of metal in drop tunings, you generally end up with riffs that pedal off the open note, something like this

[CODE]
Eb:|--00---8-7-5-0---00---6-5-3-0---00---4-3-1-0---0-4-3-1
[/CODE]

that's from Aggression by Sadus and is a mixture of 8ths & 16ths at 170bpm, for this one you could maybe play the Eb flat on the B string, don't know about you but I struggle to play 16ths at that speed on one string, without doing it over 2 strings.

or Danger Wildman by The Devil Wears Prada in drop D

[CODE]
A:|-8--10-7--7-8---5-7-8—5-4--8--10-7--7-8--5-7-8—5-4-5-|
D:|--00----00----00------00-------00----00---00------00-------|
[/CODE]

My life would be much simpler if it was just a matter of positions, but there are so many other riffs like this in Eb/Drop D/C etc that staying in BEADG isn't an option.

Edited by MrTaff

Point well made MrTaff, I hadn't thought of it like that.

Oh and I couldn't play that fast in any tuning/position :blush:

Maybe look at a Lakland as they all have a 35" scale which might help stop any flapping of the B string.

Edited by Rumple

I'd just use a slightly heavier gauge set of strings then, any good 5 should manage half a tone IMO. I do like the Lakland from the op's list.

I just tried and I'm ok with a pick at 170 bpm and i think i could play most riffs in the correct Eb position but I'd struggle to play them fingered for any length of time even with a drop tuned 4 string bass.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1337021336' post='1654208']
Fair enough, I'd probably be ok at 170 bpm with a pick, not sure about fingers.
[/quote]

I can't get near 16ths at 170 with a pick, 3 fingers I can still only do quick bursts.