Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM500 EVO II or EVO III

BMBR

I think so, I'm pretty sure the III is not made in the UK. I thought I read it was made in India though? The only front panel difference seems to be the compressor, and if the jury is out on that then I think I'd rather get a II and a decent external compressor.

Says PRC on mine. Sounds excellent. My only complaint is the the dual jack/speakon outputs are a bit iffy. When the speakon locks into place, it has to be jiggled to get it to connect. I took my first one back to the shop cos of that - only to find the replacement had the same issue. No big deal - as jacks are fine - but a minor annoyance all the same.

Edit to say I guess it may just have been a dodgy batch of connectors - but worth checking with a speakon cable as part of a pre-purchase once-over.

Edited by BluRay

If youre interested in an Evo3 i may have one for sale (little undecided whether it suits me at the moment!)
Its a rack mount chrome faced RC version in a Gator case, bought in January from DV247 and still under warranty. Spotless and fault free.
Drop me a PM if youre interested, i'm not far from West Sussex.
Cheers

No issues at all with the speakon connectors on my EVO III (which incidently is also for sale).

As for the compressor, I'm not a big fan of the onboard Ashdown job. The amp itself is a cracker though !

I think it all comes down to whether you're happy getting an older amp. If so, then an EVO II should do nicely. If you want something newer for your pennies, then it'll obviously have to be an EVO III.

Both are brilliant amps, but if the compressor rellay is the only difference (I only know & own the EVO III head, though it's the UK-made blackface special edition), it's not worth it in my opinion ... For my taste, the III's onboard compressor just doesn't sound good, it takes away too much of the tone somehow. I now use a EBS Multicomp in front of the amp, and never looked back to the ABM's onboard compressor ;)

The Ashdown website also says [b]A new upgraded power section has faster transient attack, more headroom and even less noise.[/b]
I just got myself a v3 and have to admit that I switch the compressor off. Still a great sounding amp though, although it's been a while since I had the v2 so can't remember how alike it sounds.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1336906393' post='1652500']
My only complaint is the the dual jack/speakon outputs are a bit iffy. When the speakon locks into place, it has to be jiggled to get it to connect.
[/quote]

My Marshall MB450H does exactly the same thing. Perhaps it's a universal fault with speakon connections?

• 2 weeks later...