Why become a member? ×

US Jazz Reissues - which had the stacked knobs?

4 Strings

Jazz geek qu.

I'm looking at a very nice bass which looks like a American Standard Jazz but has a control panel with the two stacked knobs, the bottom knob of each stack being black.

I've only ever seen this on a '62 reissue, but that had no string through. This one does.

I think its from the mid 90s.

Was this original on any other reissue or anything? Seems an odd mod to make if not.

Thanks for any help

sounds like someone has just fitted a 62 reissue control plate to an American standard jazz bass,its a very useful mod as you of course have volume & treble control for each pickup,on my old '62 RI i'd roll some treble of the bridge pickup.
a while back i sold a MIA jazz to fellow BC'r Chrisdabass who did just that to it,very nice it was too.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1336734966' post='1650143']
I tried out a us jazz the other week, brand new? I was under the impression they came stacked as standard now?
[/quote]

The standard/norm is still V/V/T. If it is a stacked pot it is either 60's reissue (they call it a 62 reissue but I have a feeling the VVT was generally in use by 62 and 'technically' the stacker should be earlier than that) or it has had the plate replaced.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1336737458' post='1650206']

The standard/norm is still V/V/T. If it is a stacked pot it is either 60's reissue (they call it a 62 reissue but I have a feeling the VVT was generally in use by 62 and 'technically' the stacker should be earlier than that) or it has had the plate replaced.
[/quote]

Must have been a reissue I tried then!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1336745048' post='1650365']

Would have had a '1' in front of the normal price. Cant remember if it had string through can you?
[/quote]
Can't remember at all mate, I think it was £1400 or there abouts, the guy mentioned it was active/passive on one of The stacked knobs, I didn't take much notice there was way too many knobs and I didn't have anywhere near the amount of money they wanted, all I remember is it was American, natural finish and a jazz!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1336751518' post='1650519']
Sounds like a Deluxe. 4 knobs, Vol, Pan, Treble/Bass stack and Mid.
[/quote]
Sounds about right! God knows, I'm new to this luxurious world of high end basses, technically I haven't even entered it yet :P

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1336737458' post='1650206']
[/quote]
That's exactly what I found, when I got my AV '62 Jazz & looked into it a bit, it's like it should be called a '61 reissue, the head decal too is more like a '61.

To the OP, yes the AV '62 RI is the only Jazz I've seen with the stacked pots as standard.

It just don't get why Fender called it the '62, for by that time the VVT circuit was well in use by then. They have also done away with the bridge grounding strap and, for all I know as I've never been under the hood of the newer ones, the resistors and pup/control cavity grounding plates.And for the coin they charge, they should shove all that back in [i]plus[/i] the clay dots!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1336763273' post='1650831']
It just don't get why Fender called it the '62, for by that time the VVT circuit was well in use by then. They have also done away with the bridge grounding strap and, for all I know as I've never been under the hood of the newer ones, the resistors and pup/control cavity grounding plates.And for the coin they charge, they should shove all that back in [i]plus[/i] the clay dots!
[/quote]

Unless you get a CIJ '62 RI like mine, and it has the bridge grounding strip and the VVT circuit, like a '62 would have had and without the price tag. Cannot beat the Japanese Fenders for price, quality and (it would appear) historical authenticity!

• 1 month later...

Except that the Japanese reissues have poly finishes, still great basses. The story I heard about the AV Jazz being called a 62' is all marketing.....Fender already had the 57' and 62' P-Bass ready to go.....they felt it would look better in print if the Jazz was called a 62' also.....they didn't think anyone would care that the stacked pots were gone by mid 1961. I do wish they would come with "clay" dots though.

[quote name='shrimpflea' timestamp='1341430437' post='1718991']
Except that the Japanese reissues have poly finishes, still great basses....
[/quote]
.... three grades of tuning machine and two grades of bridge saddle - depending on which of the three or four grades of instrument you purchase. Accuracy aside, they [i]are[/i] great basses, so great I have four of them.

[quote name='shrimpflea' timestamp='1341430437' post='1718991'] I do wish they would come with "clay" dots though.
[/quote]
When did they stop? I've got a 1983 Fullerton re-ish and it has clay dots. Me brother has a '62 re-ish Strat, a Corona model from about 1989, and it too has clay dots.

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1341471577' post='1719418']
Fender needs to bring out a TRUE '60 stacker, right down to the correct logo, pots, resistors and caps. I have one based on that circuitry, with the pots being 220k. It's a bit on the quiet side but sounds sweet.
[/quote]
Quite right.

And a true '62 three knob, skinny board.

I mean, look how long it took Fender to bring out the Esquire again, but they did! And if you look at the mish-mash of designs Fender is coming out with at the moment, reissuing a period-correct Jazz makes perfect business sense.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1341445018' post='1719344']
.... three grades of tuning machine and two grades of bridge saddle - depending on which of the three or four grades of instrument you purchase. Accuracy aside, they [i]are[/i] great basses, so great I have four of them.

When did they stop? I've got a 1983 Fullerton re-ish and it has clay dots. Me brother has a '62 re-ish Strat, a Corona model from about 1989, and it too has clay dots.

[/quote] My 1990 AV 62 Jazz has white dots....so does my 97 AV 62 P-Bass.....I've never seen clay dots on the reissues, only on custom shop models....do you have any pics?