Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day!

[attachment=107581:db.jpg]

Delivery feller finally arrived around 6:30pm and I had a rehearsal at 7:30pm so I barely had time to get the strings on this thing and give it a quick bash before I had to go out. :/

The bass is one of [url="http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/product.php?id_product=630"]these[/url], but I got it at a discount because of a few imperfections in the finish (which have turned out to be barely noticable). The label inside only mentions their name and no origin, so I'm assuming it's Chinese. Spruce top, maple back and sides, the ribs have a decent flame to them, and the maple parts are a little darker than the spruce top (although the top doesn't look a bright as the photo - it was taken during the 30 seconds of sunshine we had today). I'd say the photos on their website are pretty accurate. It's got a 105cm scale and a D neck.

The back has what looks like a repaired crack from the inside - about 6" long from the bottom of the bass, with three patches on it - but there's no issues with the finish on the back so I guess the wood had a natural split that they patched before they built the bass. Maybe this is part of the reason for the discount it was listed at.

The strings don't suit it but I was intending to replace them anyway. They're quite low-tension and a bit twangy, the E and A buzz a bit but I think a proper set of strings won't, although I'm planning to replace the bridge with an adjustable one anyway so even if this is cut a little too low it won't be an issue. Normally this bass ships with evah pirazzi mediums, my cheapo version didn't. I don't mind because I've had a set of those before and gave them to Beedster last week, they didn't work for me.

Sound: I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it yet. It's a bit twangy but it needs a better set of strings before I can judge. It certainly seems quite to be resonant because it was amplifying my body brushing against it while I was playing it which my other bass doesn't do, so I will have to be a bit more disciplined! Lots of sustain across the whole range of the bass, quite a balanced sound, under the bow it's quite woody and open sounding, I really think it's going to be a very good bass when I've got it how I want it. The only thing I'm worried about is it being too sensitive to amplify easily, but we'll see.

Overall I'm really happy with what I've seen so far. It's obviously got the characteristics that I wanted from a second bass and with it being new I imagine it's only going to improve from here. Didn't think I would like the violin corners but actually they're quite sweet. And it's attractive enough that the Mrs is happy with it in the dining room (she was happy with my other bass which now looks very bland and basic by comparison!). I would welcome the opinion of other players if anyone's near central York and fancies nipping round to give it a bash. Just need a few days to re-string it first. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

Hi
Depending on type, Gedo basses come from different sources.
When I bought mine (fully carved, solid wood model - which is what yours appears to be), I was told that:
"First of all, we are working as wholesaler since 1964 in Germany and export to more than 70 countries around the globe.
Right, the cheapest one (approx. 450 Pounds) is all laminate construction, but with proper ebony fingerboards the basses are Made in China and Korea - finishing will be made by our own workshop with 3 violin-makers.
We generally use "normal" steel strings and bridges to be fitted by ourselves.
If you have special requests for better grade, etc., we would be glad to have your corresponding disposal.
Basses in the range of Pounds 630-650 are Made in Korea and Czech, same with the bridge, solid spruce top, ebony fingerboard.
The solid models are Made in Czech and improved by our workshop. They are delivered with German fingerboards."

[quote name='27 frets' timestamp='1336719572' post='1649841']
The solid models are Made in Czech and improved by our workshop. They are delivered with German fingerboards."
[/quote]

Thanks man that's saved me an email. :)

I've got a spiro E and A in the attic I'm going to stick on it tonight (the current low-tension E and A buzz a bit) and then think about what D and G to stick on if they work out OK. The neck and board currently feel a little bit sticky too but I think that might just be because it's new. Nothing to record it with at the moment except the Bass Max on my laminate bass but will try to bring sounds soon. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1336691805' post='1649745']
[attachment=107581:db.jpg]

give it a quick bash before I had to go out. :/

[/quote]

ah I remember when I used to do that when I was younger stops you getting a bar on when chatting up the ladies :D

sweet bass looks very nice indeed let us know how she performs,enjoy.

Cheers guys. Stuck the two spiro weichs on and it's improved things. Still a bit weird with the two remaining twangy strings on there so I'm trying to source a decent used D and G within driving distance rather than having to order a pair (anybody?), but failing that I'll get a order in tomorrow I guess.

My other bass is closer to an Eb neck and is much heavier, this one moves around a lot when I play and it's a bit of a gamble in the higher registers but at least the scale is the same on both basses. Just noticed re-stringing that all the nut slots are cut the same - V-shapes big enough to fit an E string. Bit weird. Might see about getting the nut replaced if it's an issue but it doesn't seem to be causing problems. Also the slots in the tailpiece are a bit narrow so I might have to file those out a bit.

Seems to have potential though, and was certainly playable out of the box, much better set up than the G4M basses. Would recommend gedo-musik to beginners.