Why become a member? ×

Got a new bass today, has issues...

CBbass

Im with the rest, send it back because you are not happy, but this is the only reason. I dont think its a real world issues, as already said, loads of basses have worse than this. It wont make any difference to the tone or playing.
I sent 3 MIA Jazz basses back a couple of years ago because i wasnt happy with paying almost £900 for something that had issues my Squiers didnt, but in hindsight i was being a little too fussy (IMO) as they were all lovely basses, with issues i could and should have lived with as they realyl were minor issues, and i do now regret sending them back.

Send it back. For a number of reasons:

1) As said by many other members here, you don't like it and it will eat away at you.
2) It has a dead spot. Not one of my basses has a dead spot. This is not standard by any means unless I managed to get the 1 in a million bass. Twelve times.
3) The gap in the neck pocket is unacceptable to you.
4) Fender will never feel the need to improve their quality control (or just their quality...) if customers accept faults in their product.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1336724739' post='1649910']

4) Fender will never feel the need to improve their quality control (or just their quality...) if customers accept faults in their product.
[/quote]

Is it really a fault though? I dont think ive seen a specification sheet that says how tight the neck pocket should be, and i doubt it effects tone or playability. Im sure there are loads of people that wouldn't worry about it, or even notice it.
Its a bit shoddy i agree, but these are production line basses, not hand made and you cant expect every bass to come off the production line perfect.

Thats my thinking anyway.

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1336735128' post='1650148']
The store has arranged for the bass to be picked up. It will hopefully be exchanged; next one will be inspected to see any issues by the store and I will get some pictures sent to me also. :)
[/quote]
Good result - if they sort it out perhaps you should give them some positive publicity ?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1336737353' post='1650202']
Good result - if they sort it out perhaps you should give them some positive publicity ?
[/quote]

Definitely. I've praised GAK before for handling a similar situation so well. I don't want to give any names away until resolved however. ;)

I'd take it back. It's only going to play on your mind. Even though it probably wouldn't bother me. It is barely noticeable and wouldn't have any bearing on your sound. One thing that would have me taking it back would be dead spots. It would be back in a minute. I'm paying £1k+ for a bass with dead spots? No chance.

Heres a pic of my MIJ jaguar. Body is totally flush against the neck on both sides. An American one should just be as good.

same old, from me.
I'd never buy one of these products blind... the QC just isn't good enough, IMO, and that is without any playability or sound issues.
And Fender aren't alone either....................

Send it back..cash refund and find exactly what you want in a shop or SH where you know it ticks most boxes.

The dead spot..?? I'd be inclined to put of a another set of strings to see if that 'eliminates' that..but the neck pocket....?? Nnnooooooooo..!!