Why become a member? ×

Elm, Ash, Padauk 4 String 33" Scale Build

scojack

Finally able to start making some sawdust. I have made just a few small tweaks from my original design. It will be another 33" scale job. So far we have . .. [Body] Burr Elm top Olive Ash body Walnut Accent Have some nice Padauk for the neck,which is in the process of scarf jointing and is in clamps at the moment. Just waiting for a few more supplies to arrive... IanM

Edited by scojack

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1335948009' post='1638337']
I shall follow this with interest, there seems to be a lot of love for 33" scale basses at the moment.
[/quote]

I've specced a 33" scale on my ACG which is due in the next month or so, on the basis that I've only got small hands for a bass player. I do sometimes wonder what difference it's really going to make though. One of my favourite basses that has passed through my hands in recent times was a Yammie TRB1004 - that had a 35" scale and I'm not sure I ever really noticed!

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1336572951' post='1647730']
I've specced a 33" scale on my ACG which is due in the next month or so, on the basis that I've only got small hands for a bass player. I do sometimes wonder what difference it's really going to make though. One of my favourite basses that has passed through my hands in recent times was a Yammie TRB1004 - that had a 35" scale and I'm not sure I ever really noticed!
[/quote]

Is that a 4 or 5 string you have ordered?

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1336573925' post='1647755']
I don't think you'll be dissapointed with either (the scale length OR the ACG).
When you get to our age...comfort always comes first!! :lol:
[/quote]

:D I'll be trying to get the weight down on my next build, I'm getting too old for heavy basses.

I've got a couple of ACG 33" basses (5 and 6 string), and have had a couple of Shuker 33" basses (4 and 6 string) come and go.
I went with the 33" scale purely for comfort, as I'm a wee guy for a bass player, with fairly small "squarish" hands, so an albeit slightly smaller stretch for the fretting hand is nice as is a shorter reach to 1st position. Obviously, you can shorten the reach with some clever design, rather than shortening the neck, but it's even better if you can do both :)

I think 33" is a good compromise between 34" and 32" scale too, an open E on a 32" bass doesn't sound quite as nice as it does on a 34", but a 33" E is close enough. You also get the nice side effect of a slightly sweeter tone to the upper register especially on the higher strings.
The low B on all of my extended range 33" basses has been just fine, as good as, if not better than a lot of other higher end basses, but obviously wouldn't quite compete with the best of the best from 35" and above.

Basses should be fun to play, so I don't see why with improvements in luthier skills we can't modify and change form the norm to make things more comfortable and ergonomic so everyone can enjoy them :)

Nice to see another 33"er in the making :yarr:

Eude

Edited by eude

I originally used a 33" scale as the build was for small hands (my daughter), But after
playing it for a while I really like it myself, in fact I play the thing more than she does.
anyhoo....
Hopefully i'll get the fb bound with the walnut you can see alongside this weekend
and get the neck ready for carving see how the free time goes.
IanM

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1336728696' post='1649985']
I think I need to try out a 33" scale 5 string.
[/quote]

We're moving from Clapham to Sanderstead, hopefully very soon. Once the dust has settled, you're more than welcome to come and have a go of my ACGs.
Be warned though, it might get expensive, I don't think I'll ever own a 34" bass again, which means from now on all my basses will have to be custom...

Eude

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1336574432' post='1647762']
Is that a 4 or 5 string you have ordered?
[/quote]

It's a 4 string. Couple more updates from Alan this week so it sounds like it's on the horizon. Starting to get very excited.

I realised I might have sounded a bit churlish about the scale length before I think I was trying to suggest that there are other factors - such as neck profile, for example - that can help in minimising the effect of a longer scale length. The Yamaha had a very comfortable profile. I think my 33" ACG is going to be the best of both worlds and, I'm hoping, will be the ideal player for me.