Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problem with Wizard Eighty-Fours

sk8

I've had the stock EMG Select pups in my hohner replaced with wizard 84's. Great pups but i've got a problem - buzzing background noise until i touch the strings or bridge. I've gone through all the usual with my guitar tech, checked joints, earthing points, shielded the cavity but its still there. Andy at wizard has said that he will shield them. My guitar tech said that all thats left is the shield the pups and wires.

I know the 84's are more than double the output of my old ones. Anyone got any ideas or should i just get on with getting the pups shielded?

Thanks in advance

[quote name='sk8' post='178348' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:37 PM']...should i just get on with getting the pups shielded?[/quote]

I get a hum on all my basses unless I touch the strings. Some have Wizards installed, some don't.

To be honest, I just make sure I'm touching the strings all the time. I do it without thinking about it now.

If it hummed while you were touching the strings... *that's* a problem.

you can use copper foil to shield the control/pup cavity, its fairly cheap from axesrus/ebay/wdmusic etc and relatively easy to use as its sticky backed there is a big post on talkbass about it [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159191"]Here[/url]

I've got 84s on my MIM Jazz and don't suffer any noise problems at all.

Is the hum as bad when both pickups are switched in / turned up?

I think the pickups are supposed to be wired in opposite phase to each other so that hum is cancelled out which is why when one or the other is switched out or turned down the hum increases. Have yours been put in in-phase with each other perhaps?

Thanks for the replies

what is odd is when i got it back after the pup change it was fine but i got it out for a practice a couple of days later and got the hum. Its just annoying. i think i am just going to have to get the pups and cables shielded.

Edited by sk8