Why become a member? ×

Fender Jaguar Bass

The Walloper

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1335784087' post='1635859']
Does that sticker on the pickguard say "Made in USA" like the stickers on new Rickenbackers? Real Rickenbacker is the bass on early Bee Gees songs like "Massachuttes" and "Holliday".
[/quote]

Em...yeah it does say that. :unsure:

It's a 2004 model.

Edited by The Walloper

Can you tell us more about the sticker... :unsure:

Never played a Jag so can't really help, but all MIJ basses I've played have been top notch, the reviews of the Japanese Jaguars are very positive and the red one with matching headstock looks sublime.

So, back to the sticker...

Rickenbacker started using that "Made In USA" sticker around 2000-2005 {not sure but it is recent]. It is a good indicater of whether a 'Backer is new or used. People will peal it off and not be able to re-stick it intact.The newest 4003 Rickenbackers have a pull=pot switch to make it a little brighter sounding.

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1335785335' post='1635883']
Can you tell us more about the sticker... :unsure:

Never played a Jag so can't really help, but all MIJ basses I've played have been top notch, the reviews of the Japanese Jaguars are very positive and the red one with matching headstock looks sublime.

So, back to the sticker...
[/quote]

It's red, white and blue in colour, with the map of America and the states in front of a red and white stripey background. It actually says 'Made in America' and not 'Made in USA' as I previously stated. It has a sort of metallic look to it and has a sticky rating of about 6 out of 10, with 10 being the stickiest of all stickers.

Mines is a bit faded. Probably due to the amount of times my sweaty mitts have pressed against it. I hope it doesn't devalue the bass as a consequence :(.

I've supplied a picture for those who are interested. Any more questions regarding the sticker, don't hesitate to ask.

On a side note; Anyone know anything about Fender Jaguars? :D

Edited by The Walloper

It's the sunburst one i'm looking at just now. Stunning. I'd probably only use it in passive mode. Never been a fan of active basses. Played a chinese made one in a shop (was acutually trying out some effects pedals) and the neck was to die for.

Edited by The Walloper

I don't know how different the latest bunch are but I had a 2007(or 08) Jag. MIJ. I like skinny, shallow necks and it had the best neck I have played. Huge range of sounds available with all the switching - front pup/ back pup/ both. And in series or parallel. And active or passive. And that is why I got rid of it in the end - it was too complicated for a simple soul like me. Plus a little bit heavy for my particular brand of lumbar injury. I think the 2 band eq is the weak spot - maybe they have improved this but the controls were a bit crude.

Edit - just seen your comment about only playing it passive - in which case I think the Squier Jag is worth looking at if the Jag shape is what appeals. I personally think £700 can get you a much better bass than this.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1335787211' post='1635935']
I don't know how different the latest bunch are but I had a 2007(or 08) Jag. MIJ. I like skinny, shallow necks and it had the best neck I have played. Huge range of sounds available with all the switching - front pup/ back pup/ both. And in series or parallel. And active or passive. And that is why I got rid of it in the end - it was too complicated for a simple soul like me. Plus a little bit heavy for my particular brand of lumbar injury. I think the 2 band eq is the weak spot - maybe they have improved this but the controls were a bit crude.

Edit - just seen your comment about only playing it passive - in which case I think the Squier Jag is worth looking at if the Jag shape is what appeals. I personally think £700 can get you a much better bass than this.
[/quote]

I take it you are going to recommend a Precision or Jazz.

Depends if you like a Fender or not. When I bought my Jaguar it was a play off between that and a USA Standard Jazz, which was a little more expensive. I think, with hindsight, I made the wrong choice.

But there's so much out there and it is all so subjective! New, I think £700 could get you a very nice Ibanez, Yamaha or one of the 'Sterling by MusicMan' range of basses like a Ray34 or SB14. I have just this morning got one of the latter (secondhand) and am having trouble putting it down at the moment - it is lovely. Or a whole lot of other stuff that is off my radar.

Secondhand the choice for that money would be bewildering.

Edited by Paul S

This thread went so off topic that I was confused for a while and had to re-read a few times. Then I realised you were referring to an avatar picture (none display on my screen). Anyway, don't the older Jags have a matching headstock? I heard they almost always require after-market shielding but are great basses. I love the CAR matching with blocks ones! Perhaps one day I may pick one up.

Yes, the first series of Jaguar Bass had a matching head in the bright red finish. I have one and had to improve the battery connection .The new Jaguars are better with a slightly rounder neck {still slim ]. The bridge pickup is a little closer to the bridge.They come in a darker 'candy apple red' with natural head ,cobalt blue [my favorite], and one other color. Many good tones!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1335790728' post='1636015']
Depends if you like a Fender or not. When I bought my Jaguar it was a play off between that and a USA Standard Jazz, which was a little more expensive. I think, with hindsight, I made the wrong choice.

But there's so much out there and it is all so subjective! New, I think £700 could get you a very nice Ibanez, Yamaha or one of the 'Sterling by MusicMan' range of basses like a Ray34 or SB14. I have just this morning got one of the latter (secondhand) and am having trouble putting it down at the moment - it is lovely. Or a whole lot of other stuff that is off my radar.

Secondhand the choice for that money would be bewildering.
[/quote]

I actually was thinking of a musicman, and got a hold of a mates early 2000 2 eq sub bass. I liked it. Tone wise it was great. But I hated the fact I had nowhere to rest my thumb. Small and silly, but these things bug me after a while.

Second hand is a lottery. The right thing has to come up at the right time.

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1335792516' post='1636062']
This thread went so off topic that I was confused for a while and had to re-read a few times. Then I realised you were referring to an avatar picture (none display on my screen). Anyway, don't the older Jags have a matching headstock? I heard they almost always require after-market shielding but are great basses. I love the CAR matching with blocks ones! Perhaps one day I may pick one up.
[/quote]

Yeah, they did. They can be noisey. A bit of copper shielding tape, and it's a quick fix. I don't think the new ones have this problem.

Edited by The Walloper

Love the look of them , but not played one as yet ( any jag owners down cornwall way fancy letting me have a go ?) lsunburst would be my choice I think , I have heard lots of positives and a few negatives ie shielding , too complicated , easy to knock switch off and turn it off when playing . Saying this I still want one ;)

Edited by gub

I played a CAR one a few times a couple of years ago.

As I remember it had a slim and shallow neck, lovely balance and was very comfortable to play. Huge variety of sounds as you'd expect from all the switches and pots.

I liked it a lot.