Why become a member? ×

EBS Fafner Head

funkypenguin

Hey guys,

Im interested in hearing peoples opinions on the EBS Fafner head. Im not looking at changing my rig anytime in the immediate future but the EBS gear has caught my eye and im thinking of a potential change for after i graduate in a month or so...I do like my trace gear so it would have to be something pretty special to make me part with cash, but i'm maybe thinking its time for a change...who knows, i might not...Anyway, what are peoples experiences with them? Whats the preamp like? Are they a really 'bright' bass head? Im after warm midrange rather than a really trebly sound (ideally with the EQ set flat). The only Fafner Ive seen is the one Henrik Linder uses in the Dirty Loops videos, and his sound is much brighter than what i would generally go for. Is that typical EBS?

Thanks people! :)

Ben

EBS stuff is typically bright. They are quite clean and hi-fi sounding. The Fafner is my favourite of the EBS range and while it has the classic EBS zing it does have a lovely drive channel and some great gritty tube warmth.

Tonally the thing is a monster.

It does weigh a fair bit and the little red lightbulb in it does have a habit of blowing (silly design... Not that it affects the performance!) but other than that it really is an amazing amp.

Hey Ben,

I've had 4 EBS heads in my time playing & two of them were Fafners.

The reason people who want that really bright sound use EBS is because it does superbly, but that doesn't mean that's all it does in anyway.

Lee Pomeroy (Take That's bassist) was using the new Fafner & Reidmar last time i checked & he doesn't have the really bright tone.

The valve preamp in it can bring some great warmth and character to your sound.

If you get chance or find one locally, go try it out and make up your own mind.

It's definitely one of/if not my favourite EBS head & i'd still have one if i had a car.

I have had the mark I Fafner for three and a half years. Tonally it can do pretty much what you want with it once you get a hang of the mid control, high/lo presets and drive controls. It can achieve those very glassy highs and a hifi tone if you want, but if you roll the highs off it can do old school warmth and grit really well. Fantastic amp, though since I have had it long enough (and won't be changing it anyway) I might as well state my niggles/issues/quirks with it, which in no way detracts from its awesomeness.

1. I don't think the best sounds are achieved by setting everything flat with no presets, unless you have a good on board preamp etc. When running it flat like this with the drive at 0, it sounds a bit weedy and a bit bass shy for a 440 watt amp at 4ohms. With some eq and a bit drive the amp is a monster though. The EBS eq is brilliant and invites the user to set any sound they want, so I don't really see this as a problem.
2. It is heavy for a 440 watt 4ohm amp in the modern market, especially if you buy the matching rack case. Since you use Trace Elliot (like I do/did) I assume that isn't an issue though.
3. The light bulb thing. Mine hasn't broken, but it serves no real purpose.
4. The mid knob could do with having more frequency indicators, the vague indicators don't really provide exact spots to boost certain frequencies. You have do it more through 'feel' and by ear, not really a problem though.
5. It could have done with a separate 'drive channel' to make the drive a bit more flexible, which was solved by Fafner II.
6. The position of the 'bypass' switch suggests that it bypasses the compressor, when it really bypasses the whole eq section.
7. Speakon only speaker outputs. I think its regulation now, but if you are playing a 'just bring your head' gig, make sure you bring a speakon-jack connector in case you are playing through a jack output only cab.
8. The positioning of the fan on the side means you have to use a 4U rack case, even though it is a 3U unit.

Still, I wouldn't sell it.

Hi Ben... I've been an EBS user for over 10 years, and although I've occasionally dabbled with other amps, (Genz Benz, Eden, Aguilar) I've always come back to them because they are, for me, without equal. I personally prefer the TD650 head to the Fafner. If you like Trace gear (so do I, I used it for years until EBS came along) in my opinion the TD is closer to the Trace sound. The Fafner is a great amp, but I feel it leans more towards the classic big valve head sound. The TD also has a valve in the preamp stage so you can add more warmth. The 650 has now been superseded by the TD660 - basically the same head with a few tweaks in the preamp stage. I'd strongly advise you to try one out! :)

Edited by lowregisterhead

Though EBS amps are widely reputed as 'hi-fi' tone kit, they are certainly not one trick ponies. I have been using EBS for quite a long time and used them for loads of different music styles. I have never failed to find the right tone for the right job. Live - they are incredible. Loads of power on tap and very focussed. Studio - fans are a tad noisy (as are most amps), but the DI and line outs are very clean and the signal is very strong. Just what you need! The onboard compressor/limitter is the most usable inbuilt compressor I have ever come across on any amp. EBS really hit the mark with that one.

I love the Fafner. It was the first EBS amp I tried when Bernie Goodfellow was the only distributer in the UK at that time. I couldn't quite afford it even when Bernie offered me a very fair discount, so I went for the cheaper HD350 head which I still use now. Couldn't possibly tell you how many gigs it has done (loads!), but it has been the most reliable amp I have ever owned. Not once have I ever had a problem with it...not even a blown fuse during stage power cuts.

EBS cabs are very clean and direct cabs and do tend to contribute quite a bit towards the brightness of the overall tone, not necessarily the amp itself. Even with the tweeter turned off completely the drivers are still very clean and not woofy. If you prefer to match the cab to a rounder sounding cab then you may want to consider an alternative. Ampeg cabs sound amazing with EBS amps.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1335468090' post='1631783']
8. The positioning of the fan on the side means you have to use a 4U rack case, even though it is a 3U unit.
[/quote]
I've got mine in a 4U case with a power regulator in the spare space and not had any thermal problems........hmmm...........wondering if I should do some surgery on my case

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1336135373' post='1641394']
I've got mine in a 4U case with a power regulator in the spare space and not had any thermal problems........hmmm...........wondering if I should do some surgery on my case
[/quote]

I think you will be okay, since from what I've heard from EBS you can fill the extra space, its just that the extra 1U on the side prevents overheating in comparison to a 3U case (apparently). Still, you never know, but my guess is that there shouldn't be an issue. My 4U case has an empty slot, mainly because I have no money to fill it with anything! I'm always tempted to buy a Sansamp RBI/Trace V-Type preamp, just for additional tonal options.