Why become a member? ×

Any Shuttle Max and Streamliner owners?

Walker

Torn between the two (like many others before me).
Has anyone tried both? is there much tonal crossover between the two?

The big question I have is can you get the valvey warmness that the Streamer is know for out of the Shuttle Max with a bit of fiddling?

ta

Chris

Hi Chris

I've just taken delivery of a SMax 9.2, and I have a Streamliner 900 which has seen some use live, etc.

For me, the Streamliner is very very good at what it does. Those 3 EQ knobs, combined with the mid freq. selector and the gain provide many many different tones.

It is warm, round, fat, and syrupy. It will, however, give you some very clear 'studio quality' high end....the treble knob is excellent and almost like a passive tone control on a Fender.

Bump the mids a tiny bit, lower the bass to 9/10, and you have the Steamliner flat, then take it from there. The grind from the tubes/tube dirt is brilliant. It can also do VERY clean and extremely high volumes. Lots of low end and a lot of volume.

The SMax 9.2 is bigger, more 'complex', clearer and more like a combination of a solid state and a hybrid (due to two channels). I wanted one because I craved a totally clean, very transparent amp, and the Max 9.2 gives you that, with the new technology the Streamliner has in the Max package. The Max will dirty up, but it won't have that huge warm tone the Streamliner does.

You will be able to get close though.

If you want the most versatile, pickup the Max 9.2.

I've not used mine much as Im moving house, but its a quality bit of kit. I was lucky to buy one second hand and its totally immaculate. The footswitch is bombproof and comes with it.

Thank you very much for the info - that is very much appreciated. From what youve said, I have a feeling the Streamliner is the beast for me... "[i]The grind from the tubes/tube dirt is brilliant. It can also do VERY clean and extremely high volumes. Lots of low end and a lot of volume.[/i]...

[i]It is warm, round, fat, and syrupy. It will, however, give you some very clear 'studio quality' high end"....[/i]

...this particularly appeals[i]: [b]"[/b][b]...the treble knob is excellent and almost like a passive tone control on a Fender.[/b][/i]"

Thanks again for the info.

Chris

I just bought a streamliner 900 after trying the shuttle as well at bass direct. I play an old P bass and found the shuttle a bit too accurate, a bit too much rattle and clatter where the streamliner smoothes it out a bit. I play upright too and the shuttle was much better than the streamliner for that

I took the "gamble" on a Streamliner 900 without playing first and don't regret it at all.. I love it!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1335290443' post='1628784']

For me, the Streamliner is very very good at what it does. Those 3 EQ knobs, combined with the mid freq. selector and the gain provide many many different tones.

It is warm, round, fat, and syrupy. It will, however, give you some very clear 'studio quality' high end....the treble knob is excellent and almost like a passive tone control on a Fender.

Bump the mids a tiny bit, lower the bass to 9/10, and you have the Steamliner flat, then take it from there. The grind from the tubes/tube dirt is brilliant. It can also do VERY clean and extremely high volumes. Lots of low end and a lot of volume.

[/quote]

+1 for sure

I'm also very happy with my Streamliner 900 but can't comment on the Shuttle. I echo the suggestion of a trip to Bass Direct - Mark will give you the time you need to try both and decide.

Also, search out the various threads on these amps on Talkbass.com - there's a huge amount of helpful info on there. There was some stuff about the Streamliners being better with cabs with 10s rather than 12s IIRC which may be relevant depending on the cabs you own.

The ShuttleMAX and the Shuttle are quite different beasts. Just thought I'd clarify as I think, like me, many have compared the Shuttle with the Streamliner, but not the ShuttleMAX and the streamliner.

Having said that, I believe the Streamliner is more what you're after because the EQ section is Valves as well as the preamp. Its a warmer rounder sound.

I run my Shuttle 6 pretty much flat most of the time so not sure how much benefit I would get from the valve EQ but I do put two valve pedals in front of it because alone the shuttle can be a bit sterile for me.