Why become a member? ×

When do you become band ready?

Dandelion

'Band ready' is not really the issue it is 'band confident', and has been said, there will always be the right outfit to join, the problem is finding them . you will find guys you can play with , then grow out of , you will find guys you can play with who want to do more than you can put in . That is the eternal search , though some are lucky , and luck is what you need.

I left my previous band as a bored bassist , learnt the set (simplified) in 10 weeks , then spent 5 years playing the same set. re learning it in fingerstyle and slap just to add some interest , they never new what I was playing anyway , I joined [b]their[/b] band ,I was effectively there cos I was needed , enjoyed it mostly just a bit frustrating.

I left, not intending to do another band , but the lad threw me a link to Join my band .com , loads of tyre kickers , but I fell lucky , the first bunch I contacted were brilliant , auditioned and just kept going back for more , when I soon realised that they could all play ,they where not so sound savvy ,or PA aware, though they had the kit, a guy in a previous band ran it , so I picked up the sound and lighting aspects aswell. I was just playing at it and learning myself really, but they were chuffed to have someone make the effort. Now they look to me for the set up and staging !!!
So as long as you get on with the other guys GO FOR IT , you may bring more to the show than you realise .

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1335128340' post='1626212']
According to all the adverts I've seen you need to have your own gear, own transport and be experienced.

That's band code for own a PA, van and know how to load it on your own at 1am.
[/quote]

Some people who answer these adverts think it means
"I can borrow a drum kit, one of you can probably give me a lift, and I have banged along to that bit in the Phil Collins song on my desk a bit."

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1335086188' post='1625438']
Yeah, practice as much as you can privately, but until you play with a band/other musos it's hard to imagine the dynamics and sensitivity required to play (together) in a band situation.

It's like a whole other skill.
[/quote]

It [b]is [/b]a whole other skill. It's ok learning some covers, but being there and playing with a live drummer is something else.