Why become a member? ×

SEI 5-string jazz bass NO RESERVE

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130682102652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649[/url]

This looks - and probably is (was) a very good buy. I Could have had it for £789 on previous auction - maybe should have taken the 2nd-chance offer, but was put-off by receiving it almost immediately after the auction ended. Had the non-buying bidder not bid, the final price would have been £711 (previous start was £699). Queried this with seller - no response. Now listed £10 above my offer and £100 above initial auction.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130680616196?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1432.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1432.l2649[/url]

£809.10
12-Apr-12 14:14:20 BST
£789.10
09-Apr-12 10:08:03 BST
£701.00
07-Apr-12 23:35:24 BST
£699.00
02-Apr-12 14:14:24 BST

So, probably woth a bid for a top 5s Jazz, but be wary if you get outbid and then get a quick 2nd-chance.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! I have been waiting for one of these to come up on ebay for ages. Now that this one is up I haven't got the bloody sterlings for it because I recently paid Jon Shuker for the bass that he is building for me! My missus would kill me if I bought it :unsure:

For anyone thinking about placing a bid for this bass...do it! These basses are stunning instruments and have been on my wish list for years. I highly recommend them.

I know the guy who won this the other week, he's a regular on here too. He won it for £650, it used to be his bass but he sold it on.
The guy wouldn't sell it in the end, I'm guessing because the winning bid was too low. He even reported the winning bidder to eBay as a potential scammer.

If you bid and win, don't be too confident of actually getting the bass.

Edited by kjb

I've just been told that this thread is on here. I'm selling the bass. The original owner did win but decided in the end he didn't want it.

eubassix I offered the bass to you but you never responded or got in touch as far as I am aware.

Its for sale and have been recommended people visit me to try before they buy it.

Thanks for the imput James. All I can do is outline what happened and what I've been told:-

My 2nd Chance Offer:-
Expiration Time: Apr-17-12 04:01:04 PDT
Message from seller: Hi Eubassix, The other buyer decided to pull out without coming to collect, so the bass is still for sale if you're still interested of course. Its collection only and I prefer paypal though cash on collection is also an option. Many thanks,

My REPLY (got nothing back):-
Message flagged Saturday, 14 April 2012, 12:38HI - thanks/interested. Couple of slight concerns before giving it full consideration. (1) I would have to arrange a Courier collection (9-5, from home or work address) as I'm too far from you to collect personally; and (2) the possibly 'bogus' bidder (who bid twice above my bid !) .....[etc]

From the BC'er* who prefers to remain anon. Member for c. 2 years, active and with excellent Feedback:-

I won the bass .... the seller accused me of being a scammer then cancelled the auction .... when I have 100% feedback on ebay .... then offered it to the second highest bidder (you?).... then called me back saying he wanted to sell it to me. I thought I wanted it (I actually owned it before).... but it's quite a turn off being called a scammer... so didn't buy it. He chose to refund me.... when the bass was FULLY paid via paypal....

*I'll notify BC'er of this and will remove if if he prefers me to do so

Thanks Eubassix. As you can see I am not hiding anything. I ve posted my pic, you ve got my full name etc. If I was bogus I wouldn't be doing this. I'd might as well keep the bass if its going to be so much trouble.

I never got ur message. I allowed 3 days to click buy and felt that was sufficient time.

The bass has been on ebay as collection only.

The person saying "I won the bass" is obviously the person you refer to as being the possible "bogus bidder". Otherwise how could he have won? Yes he did so for £809.

Reasons I got spooked with the person claiming to be the original owner is that he wanted to originally settle for a price outside the auction and I was concerned when he mentioned that he wanted to meet at a train station with a friend. He'd pay a deposit to secure the bass. Once he won the auction we finally agree he collect the bass from my place. Then he said he didn't want the case because he couldn't be bothered to carry it...

I'm not sure if he is the original owner. He claimed he sold it to the bass gallery in london needing to sell as he's amp gave up - needed to get a new one. I bought it in Brighton in GAK around the same time. The guy that sold it to GAK exchanged it for a fender bass (so the staff told me).

I'm a self employed musician and teacher struggling to make ends meet so the last thing I want is trouble selling a very much loved bass and expensive bass - which I need to to cover other expenses at the moment. I played it safe.

To conclude this story. I rang him the following day having slept on these thoughts, and I said the bass is his if he wants it. I could keep the case etc if he didn't want that. Based on his good ebay feedback I'd be happy to - seemed a nice guy etc. We agreed, invoiced him. He texted saying he changed his mind and didn't want it after all.

I did a second chance offer - sorry I didn't get your message. I stuck it on ebay again. I placed it at a price just shy of what it was won for. My own recent experience with Ebay and considering all of this palava you dont get a lot more than the initial bidding price as everyone bids right at the last moment.

Hope this clarifies everything.

[quote name='James Stathatos' timestamp='1335260937' post='1628016']
Thanks Eubassix. As you can see I am not hiding anything. I ve posted my pic, you ve got my full name etc. If I was bogus I wouldn't be doing this. I'd might as well keep the bass if its going to be so much trouble.

I never got ur message. I allowed 3 days to click buy and felt that was sufficient time.

The bass has been on ebay as collection only.

The person saying "I won the bass" is obviously the person you refer to as being the possible "bogus bidder". Otherwise how could he have won? Yes he did so for £809.

Reasons I got spooked with the person claiming to be the original owner is that he wanted to originally settle for a price outside the auction and I was concerned when he mentioned that he wanted to meet at a train station with a friend. He'd pay a deposit to secure the bass. Once he won the auction we finally agree he collect the bass from my place. Then he said he didn't want the case because he couldn't be bothered to carry it...

I'm not sure if he is the original owner. He claimed he sold it to the bass gallery in london needing to sell as he's amp gave up - needed to get a new one. I bought it in Brighton in GAK around the same time. The guy that sold it to GAK exchanged it for a fender bass (so the staff told me).

I'm a self employed musician and teacher struggling to make ends meet so the last thing I want is trouble selling a very much loved bass and expensive bass - which I need to to cover other expenses at the moment. I played it safe.

To conclude this story. I rang him the following day having slept on these thoughts, and I said the bass is his if he wants it. I could keep the case etc if he didn't want that. Based on his good ebay feedback I'd be happy to - seemed a nice guy etc. We agreed, invoiced him. He texted saying he changed his mind and didn't want it after all.

I did a second chance offer - sorry I didn't get your message. I stuck it on ebay again. I placed it at a price just shy of what it was won for. My own recent experience with Ebay and considering all of this palava you dont get a lot more than the initial bidding price as everyone bids right at the last moment.

Hope this clarifies everything.
[/quote]

Hello- it sounds like a lot of good people getting wires crossed to me.
just a thought. Have you thought of selling it on here? Might be easier

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1335262757' post='1628083']
Hello- it sounds like a lot of good people getting wires crossed to me.
just a thought. Have you thought of selling it on here? Might be easier
[/quote]

Agree Luke - with both points (!). Thanks for taking time to explain James - sounds fine to me, and a shame that neither the previous owner or I were unable to finalise due to some misunderstandings and ebay's message system not working properly. The concern I had with a possible 'bogus' bidder (obviously not the case here) is that some sellers on ebay utilise a second account or friends to bump-up the auction and then immediately offer a 2nd-chance.

Hi James.
Sorry to hear that you've been mucked about like that.... there seems to be a bit of it going about just now, in fact oddly enough 2 of us on here have had similar experiences off one of the "contributors" to this thread recently. <_<

As Luke said, sell it on here... most of us on here are actually experienced buyers/seller with a gentlemanly attitude and an abhorrence to wind-up merchants. :D

eubassix, thanks for the thumbs up. I know what you mean.

In my case I've just got 36 transactions on ebay so a small player. 100% positive feedback as well. If whoever buys is not happy then can send it back. Regarding this bass I've done it collection only so people can be sure of what they're getting before taking away - gives the buyer a chance to change their mind. (Also concerned with possible damage during transport - never needed to send an instrument via courier before).

Hi James , welcome aboard .

It was me who sent you the link to this , as I said earlier on in this thread , that I couldn't stand this behaviour .

On the face of it , it looked quite dodgy , and now reading all of this , I now feel somewhat bad writing what I did .

It has though , given you the chance to explain what happened , and it seems to be a communications issue , and that's all .

Sorry if I initially caused any ill feeling , but I feel , it's worked out well . As now you've joined the best Bass forum on the planet , and by trading any gear on here - either in or out - you're going to deal with gentlemen of the highest order (most of the time :P ) , and realise where your new home is .

No hard feelings mate , and welcome again x

No worries Esharp, I appreciate you've let me know about this thread. Just want the auction to be over now, sell the bass and get on with life :-) Anyway, now I know I can advertise stuff on here may be selling one of my effects pedals - so will let you know when I decide. Just a boss octaver that I bought and haven't been using much. Its in the pedal board on a trial basis at the mo and hasn't been switched on for ages as I'm not convinced it suits the sound I want. Its a BOSS OC-3 if I'm not wrong in very good condition.

Anyway, no hard feelings with anyone. Off for some more practice. Speak soon!