Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1100S (MIT) Natural: ***SOLD***

Etienne

***SOLD***

Hi everyone,

I've been in two minds for the last few weeks whether to sell this or not (as it plays and sounds fantastic), but I'm looking to pick up a valve bass head in the very near future to use with one of my bands, and need to raise the cash...

I bought this from Jigster back in January this year. The bass was advertised as MIJ, but it's actually Made In Taiwan like the majority of the 1100S models (to be fair, this is [i]very[/i] faintly stamped into the back of the headstock underneath the serial number- I didn't spot it for a while, and neither did Jigster, as it happens! :lol:). Don't let that put you off though, as it's a superbly-made instrument, whatever its origin. The detail, fit & finish is better than some basses I've played costing 2 or 3 times the price- certainly far better than the majority of Fenders I've tried in my lifetime!

Because of Yamaha's bizarre serial numbering system (where they recycle the whole system every 10 years), it's difficult to ascertain the precise year of manufacture, but after talking to several Yamaha aficionados on Basschat, it seems most likely to have been built in 1986. The serial number is MO22078, which according to Yamaha means that it was Unit Number 78, built on August 22nd.

There are zero issues with it functionally- I gave it a thorough checkover when I bought it, and the electronics, including the switchable 3-band active circuit and all the pots, work perfectly. The bass can be run active or passive- in fact, you don't even need to install a battery for passive mode! Both pickups are strong and sound great. The neck is super stable, so no tuning issues here! Tuners and bridge work and adjust easily. Cosmetically, there's the odd ding here and there in the bodywork, but nothing out of the ordinary for a bass of this age.

The bass is currently set up to my personal taste with 45-105 Ernie Ball Slinkys (with a medium high action for solid fingerstyle and pick playing), and for me, this is one of the nicest instruments I've ever gigged with. The neck is rock-solid and beautifully finished, with a really nice-looking rosewood board, and a slight birdseye to the maple on the reverse. It plays great, and sounds incredible, particularly on the solo'd neck pickup- proper classic P-bass growl, better than the real '79 P-bass I used to own!

I'm looking for a firm [b]£300[/b] for this, plus P+P costs to send it within the UK. No offers please! Collection from Liverpool city centre is always welcome too- you'll need to bring a gig bag to take it home though, as it doesn't have a bag or case of its own...

I prefer to take payment by bank transfer whenever possible (please check my positive feedback thread in my sig), but can also do Paypal if necessary.

If you're interested and have any questions about the bass, PM me and let me know...

Thanks for looking!

Etienne

Edited by Etienne

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1334751177' post='1620617']
Looks a fine example of an outstanding bass. Do you want to swap with a custom P Bass build?
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not really looking for trades- need the cash!