Why become a member? ×

Rotosound/Elixir question

Faithless

So, when I got my Ibazzy SR Prestige, it was equipped with Elixir Nanoweb's. Wonderful strings, covered with thin protection-coat, but I'm playing with 'em for about 9 months, coating is almost off, though they still produce punchy sound, I think, I need to change 'em.

But the prob is, I can't get those damn Elixir's here in Lithuania at the moment, and due to interest to try somethin' different I've chosen Rotosound Swing Bass. I wanted same gauge as Elixirs were ( 45/125), but there's no same in stock, so I'm thinking to try 40/60/80/100/125.

What I'm interested in, would there be any [i]real[/i] difference in sound between them, due to manufacturer and gauge??
And, at last, are those Roto's really worth money - I've never had any bussiness with them before.

I'm playing rock/metal and some slappy/funky stuff sometimes.

[quote name='Faithless' post='176892' date='Apr 15 2008, 10:41 AM']So, when I got my Ibazzy SR Prestige, it was equipped with Elixir Nanoweb's. Wonderful strings, covered with thin protection-coat, but I'm playing with 'em for about 9 months, coating is almost off, though they still produce punchy sound, I think, I need to change 'em.

But the prob is, I can't get those damn Elixir's here in Lithuania at the moment, and due to interest to try somethin' different I've chosen Rotosound Swing Bass. I wanted same gauge as Elixirs were ( 45/125), but there's no same in stock, so I'm thinking to try 40/60/80/100/125.

What I'm interested in, would there be any [i]real[/i] difference in sound between them, due to manufacturer and gauge??
And, at last, are those Roto's really worth money - I've never had any bussiness with them before.

I'm playing rock/metal and some slappy/funky stuff sometimes.[/quote]

I like Rotos. Some folk complain that they feel rough. Rub Fast Fret into them and they feel fine.

Wish they lasted longer, but I've never found any strings that keep their new sound. Tried Warwick coated strings (nanoweb?) and hated them, they didn't seem to last any longer than normal and didn't have the brand new piano sound in the first place.

Won't Thomann.de ship to Lithuania?

It's all a matter of personal preference. I used Rotos for a bit, but wasn't really that taken by them. They always seemed to sound a bit lifeless and never seemed to be of particularly great quality (maybe I got a duff batch?).

I switched over to Elites, finding them to be better both in terms of value and sound.

Recently though, I've found La Bella Slappers to be far superior to Elites and Rotosounds that I've tried. And they're pretty damn cheap! My new Ibanez has Elixirs on and, while the La Bellas aren't quite there, they're not that far off. And cost about half the price.

I'm sure many people will disagree, but that's been my personal experience with strings.

With regards to the gauge question, it will be noticeable on the strings that are different, but won't be excessive. The important thing is that your low B is the same. I've found lighter gauge strings to be better for funkier stuff and slapping, while heavier gauge cuts through better when playing heavier stuff with loud guitars.

No other coated strings compare to Elixirs because they have patented the method of coating the string AFTER it is wound, stopping crap getting in between the windings. In the Warwick/Daddario(sp?) strings they coat the parts individually beforehand, effectively putting gunk in between the windings before you even put them on!! It is no coincidence that each set I have tried have lasted about 3 days!!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='179208' date='Apr 17 2008, 07:47 PM']I stopped using roto flats when I got three bad sets together.
They may have improved since, but they were total crap five years ago when I last bought them.[/quote]

Ah, roto flats, probably able to be used to string a suspension bridge, the tension is that high.

see, I went from the Swing Rotos to the Elixrs, I would never go back to Rotos now. Tone/feel/Brightness of the Elixrs are way superior IMHO.

The coating of my Elixrs is starting to come off now and they still sound just as bright as ever. I wouldnt change them for the world. Plus, the Swing Rotos arnt as smooth as the elixrs, they dont like my fingers much and tear into them.

Might just be me, But ive really gone off Roto's and since starting playing bass ive never used anything other then rotos till now.