Why become a member? ×

Jazz v. Precision Bass- question from [relative] newbie

barnettiuk

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1343154295' post='1746273']
...look at all the super-jazz basses made today. There is nowhere near the same demand for boutique P basses.[/quote]

Maybe that's because P players just aren't 'boutique' people? :P

I like both, but I was brought up mainly playing P copies and yearning for a Ray. Now the Ray takes top spot, but I still love my Fender P.

I am very tempted to get a 2012 P with maple board to see if the pups are 'all that' after the switch they made.

I have a beautiful lightweight Fender Jazz, but I do get annoyed with how it gets 'lost' in the mix.

To the OP - here is a half decent video comparing the sounds of various Jazz and Precision basses as well as a Stingray:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG-xma83D9k&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG-xma83D9k&feature=related[/url]

TBH - makes me think about getting another Stingray!

P basses just seem natural to me, they are comfortable neck, body and pickup position to play, they sound great without effort and nothing looks better than a simple p bass IMO

Odd that I just traded one of my p's for a stingray

I've always thought the p could do the type of jazz that was around during the J's invention better, and that the name jazz bass was more of a marketing label than a claim it was more suitable for jazz?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1343280743' post='1748157']
P basses just seem natural to me, they are comfortable neck, body and pickup position to play, they sound great without effort and nothing looks better than a simple p bass IMO
[/quote]

Agreed, it just works, you plug it in and you sound great.
I use mine in just about every genre. Never need anything else (except a 5 for gospel music).

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1334314805' post='1614280'] I reckon it's the other way around - a 'P' bass has a noticeable hump in the midrange, so it is more apparent in most mixes, the Jazz has an inbuilt 'mid-scoop' due to the phasing of the pickups. All of this can be altered/changed outboard with amps, effects, wang, EQ etc... The big difference as a player is that the neck on a 'P' bass is a bit fatter, with the Jazz necks traditionally having a slimmer profile. [/quote]

yes and no.
The Jazz only sounds scooped if you use both pickups together. Many people -like yours truly- tend to use either one or the other. The neck pickup is in the ballpark of the P-bass sound (not exactly, a bit tamer), and the bridge pickup has a lot more midrange and cuts through clearly.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1343084107' post='1745169']
Both basses work for pretty much any type of music.
[/quote]

yes, as long as it can go "boom" in the background nobody in the audience will care :P

Recently got a jazz after having a p-copy for years. Really like the slimmer neck, still find myself twiddling with the knobs looking for the best sound though. All down to what feels right to your hands and your ears. In an ideal world I'd go for a jazz neck and a p body.

[quote name='Looper' timestamp='1343478080' post='1751273']
Recently got a jazz after having a p-copy for years. Really like the slimmer neck, still find myself twiddling with the knobs looking for the best sound though. All down to what feels right to your hands and your ears. In an ideal world I'd go for a jazz neck and a p body.
[/quote]

Funny, I'm the opposite: Jazz body and Precision neck.