Why become a member? ×

Hi from across the small pond....

pobrien_ie

Hi from Ireland! New to bass chat, but have been playing bass on and off for about 14 years.

Recently took the decision to get out of the cover band scene (classic rock mainly), and now just enjoying playing again (soul mainly)!

Currently using a recently acquired 1989 Fender AVRI 57 P Bass through a Trace Twin Valve Combo. Also in the process of buying a 1989 Jap 62 P Bass. I've no real affinity to 1989, just a happy coincidence! Have owned lots of basses over the years, but am only a recent convert to P basses after stumbling on an early 80's Ibanez Roadstar (which I've since traded).

Musical tastes range from rock to soul, and I'm actually really into the whole Motown and Stax stuff at the moment...Jamerson, Dunn, Babbitt, Felder etc.

Looking forward to being enlightened!!

I had a great holiday in Ireland. Started at Belfast from ferry port up the coast to Port Stewart then down to Donegal and onto Sligo to Galway then Limerick and onto Killarney for the Harley Davidson bike rally where Whitesnake, Roy Wood and Bonnie Tyler played over long weekend at Gleeagles Hotel. Weather was a bit wet on the first journey to Port Stewart but from there it just got warmer and sunnier. Last 4 days at Killarney were glorious. Couldn't have asked for more.

People were friendly and helpful everywhere we went.

Ireland doesn't sell itself well enough by any means.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1333719134' post='1605695']
I had a great holiday in Ireland. Started at Belfast from ferry port up the coast to Port Stewart then down to Donegal and onto Sligo to Galway then Limerick and onto Killarney for the Harley Davidson bike rally where Whitesnake, Roy Wood and Bonnie Tyler played over long weekend at Gleeagles Hotel. Weather was a bit wet on the first journey to Port Stewart but from there it just got warmer and sunnier. Last 4 days at Killarney were glorious. Couldn't have asked for more.

People were friendly and helpful everywhere we went.

Ireland doesn't sell itself well enough by any means.

Dave
[/quote]

That sounds like a pretty epic trip. The bikers always tend to like Ireland. You're dead right, we could do a lot more on the self-promotion front!

The one thing we do lack though is good live music, be that original or cover bands. the whole doom and gloom of the recession has knocked that on the head a bit for now!

Hi, how are things? Yeah wasn't quite sure how much we'd have infiltrated the site, but imagined (as with everything) there'd be a few of us knockin' about!

I'd hazard a guess that the O'Brien genes are pretty poor from a bass playing perspective, at least from this O'Brien clan!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1334253374' post='1613354']
Hey Paddy,

Welcome to BC. Have been on Anglesey a _lot_ and been looking at your house from there, so I'm an expert on Ireland (obl. Sarah Palin ref.).

best,
bert
[/quote]

I like it!! You just can't beat her for stupidity.

Thanks for the welcome too!