Why become a member? ×

Stingray Pickup

kevbass

Hello all,

So Ive just bought Stings stingray pickup, and I intend to route it into a precision bass as I am most comfortable with p bass necks over anything else. I intend to keep the precision pup on the bass and have the stingray pup mounted next to the bridge i.e like a stingray, and I am going to have a two way toggle switch added so that the tone and volume pot will either control the stingray pup or the precision pup one at a time. I dont really want to blend the pups so its going to be stingray sound or precison sound.

Now my question is, will the stingray pup run passive, or, because it came from an active ernie ball 2004 stingray, will I have to have a pre-amp installed and route a battery cavity in the back? advice much appreciated as always.

Kev

If its a bog standard SR4 pick-up with 2 wires and no coils switching then there is no reason why it shouldn't be used in passive mode. I tried an SR5 like that (hard wired for parallel) and it was fine. It'll still have that distinctive Stingray tone but you'll have to tweak the amp some to get a real Ray sound.

[quote name='rayfw' post='175994' date='Apr 14 2008, 01:20 AM']I'm sure the Sub was offered as a passive bass and I've seen a passive Fender P with a MM fitted before now too.[/quote]
Yeah there was a passive sub and the pickups are exactly the same accross the range (apart from the bongo i think). And on the 2 band ray and the sub if you roll the EQ off it is basically operating in passive mode anyway. The 2 band EQ is a boost, the 3 band is an actual EQ.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='176757' date='Apr 14 2008, 11:37 PM']Both are EQ circuits. Some of the later circuits offered cut and boost and some of the earlier ones offered boost only,... and that still is EQ despite being boost only.[/quote]
The 2EQ is a boost, according to sterling ball, hey the guy only owns the company and designed the basses, what does he know? :)

Actually the 2-band is bass boost only and treble cut/boost. When he was designing his MM replacement 2-band pre-amp John East wrote an excellent description of how the circuit works for the old Dudepit. Regretably that no longer exists. Perhaps we could persuade him to write it again. If I remember the bass is desined to be boost only BUT because of the way the circuit works it gives the impression of bass cut and boost.

[quote name='obbm' post='176769' date='Apr 14 2008, 11:57 PM']Actually the 2-band is bass boost only and treble cut/boost. When he was designing his MM replacement 2-band pre-amp John East wrote an excellent description of how the circuit works for the old Dudepit. Regretably that no longer exists. Perhaps we could persuade him to write it again. If I remember the bass is desined to be boost only BUT because of the way the circuit works it gives the impression of bass cut and boost.[/quote]

thanks - i've been wondering for ages how my 1979 sabre's eq circuit worked !

[quote name='obbm' post='176769' date='Apr 14 2008, 11:57 PM']Actually the 2-band is bass boost only and treble cut/boost. When he was designing his MM replacement 2-band pre-amp John East wrote an excellent description of how the circuit works for the old Dudepit. Regretably that no longer exists. Perhaps we could persuade him to write it again. If I remember the bass is desined to be boost only BUT because of the way the circuit works it gives the impression of bass cut and boost.[/quote]

I tend to agree with this after trying a few different Rays.