Why become a member? ×

IEM Headphones Minerva MI2

baseline9

Hello - rest of my band use IEM's and i'm thinking about joining them, having looked around and read for a number of weeks now I want to try and get some custom fit ones...

http://www.minerva-hearingprotection.co.uk/dual-driver-custom-ear-monitors.html

Thinking of getting a set of these and just wondered if they will be ok for Bass playing?
I know the triple drivers would be better but price is getting too much at that point!

Any thoughts would be a massive help!

Many thanks.
Mikey.

If you want triples these are a bit cheaper than where you were looking.

[url="http://www.alienears.com/products/187-ae3-trile-driver-w-dual-lw-ed-fixed-crd-mitr.aspx"]Alien Ears AE3 Fixed Cord[/url]

That's where i'm likely to get mine when i get some (hopefully late this year), but i'll be after the removable cord i think.

Liam

Excellent, I am seriously thinking of going for the Alien ears, i recon cost will be about £260/£270 factoring in sending the impression kit back which does not seem to cost that much, my only worry
is any tax or import costs i may get hit on when the package gets sent, athough it will only be a small size. mmmmmm?

Many thanks
Mikey.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1333553934' post='1603489']
I have recieved a set of Minera fitted MusicPlugs today. Just the ear plugs, not the IEM... The service has been amazing and the moulding of the ears was.... Fun!

I'll report back on quality when I've had chance to really try them out!
[/quote]

Any chance of that report? I've got a consultation booked this week but some first hand experience from a fellow basschatter would be great for reassurance! Thanks in advance :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1342346791' post='1733418']

Any chance of that report? I've got a consultation booked this week but some first hand experience from a fellow basschatter would be great for reassurance! Thanks in advance :)
[/quote]

Not good.

I recieved them around the time I posted and STILL do not have a usable pair! The right ear was perfect, but the left too large - I was told this can happen though rare. I detailed the dimensions that were problematic and sent it back for it to be 'modified'. Waited a fortnight and got it back in a state which felt to me as if they had done nothing. Called and told them, detailed the problems again and they recast both plugs for me. I waited 3 weeks and recieved a replacement set BOTH of which were so small that they fell from my ears!

Called again and sent over a dozen detailed photographs showing the size difference and the areas that were problematic - plus pointing out that as the original right ear was a perfect fit, I can't understand why they can't get the left correct, and why on this recast set that right was SOOOOOO different to one I asked them not to change. I sent this set back as well as the original left so they could compare how massively different they were and work towards getting a plug that sat between the 2 extremes. More weeks passed and a replacement left arrive... Identical to the last one and far too small for my ear. This time they were very apologetic and sent me to have that ear re-moulded as the said there must be something wrong with the mould

The lady at the 3rd party hearing company did the mould and then compared it the plug I had and drew on the impression where she thought the plug should be cut and wrote a detailed description of the issues using technical lingo that would explain it better than I could. Se also tried fitting the plugs and confirmed that the right plug was perfect and the left very wrong.

Another fortnight passed - replacements arrived. Left still too small. Outer body is great but again rather than taking a 'little' off they have literally halved the plug so it moves around in the ear. I took it back to the 3rd party company that do the moulding and asked for her take on it. She was shocked and wrote me another letter detailing the issues, much the same as last time an I'm now waiting on another left plug.

I've lost count how many I'm on now? 5? It's beyond me. Lee at Minerva is apologetic though I get the impression I'm a 'problem' customer. The lady at Hidden Hearing (who took the impressions) seemed shocked they couldn't get the plug right as well.

As far as I'm concerned this is last chance. I've only allowed this many attempts as for a while it was almost funny... I'm too forgiving!

I will say this - with the right in and the left being held in, the sound is AMAZING. Like turning the volume down on the room without loosing anything - this makes it even more frustrating! Jut wish I could use the bloody plugs I paid for and should of had months ago!

Damn! Your review has really put me off using them now! I'm booked in with Hidden Hearing in York and really need a good pair without the hassle of faffing around. However, they sound like they would be perfect if they manage to fit them right.

Maybe the only way to find out is to take the risk and hope they get it right!

Hidden Hearing were great. Minerva have been apologetic and promise me that they have never had an issue like this before - makes me feel über unlucky and I don't know how much truth is in that, but in fair was I can only find one report on the internet of an issue and that was sorted promptly by a single recast... So if this kind of issue is common, no one speaks about it.

I feel that I have just been unlucky... But I'm not prepared to be unlucky any more. The reason I went back to hidden hearing was to ensure it wasn't me expecting too much so had the lady there try and fit them to my ears. They were amazingly helpful as well.

Just hope this set is right or I'll be seriously unhappy.

I have recently been down this route but with another well known manufacturer.

It is has not been a smooth ride but I would give the following advice:

Get your impressions taken by a pro - doing it yourself is going to present all sorts of problems if you don't get the fit 100% right. I had mine taken by the company who make them and even the the seal was not quite right what happens then is you get nowhere near the amount of bass that you will want. I had to go back and get them done again by the MD this time.

Secondly I would only opt for a minimum of 3 drivers, I have had a single and 2 driver so far and both really lacked enough bottom end to give me what I needed.

Thirdly, I believe that Alien Ears are acrylic moulds and I hear that they are nowhere near as comfortable as silicone which heats up to body temperature and moves better especially if you sing at all.

Interested to know how you get on.

I have to say, I'm going for the custom ear plugs like pantherairsoft, not the IEMs. I have a set of in-ears that I got through the old label when touring and they're great (and free!) and the fitting was perfect with them and hassle free but are overkill/too much faff on smaller gigs when I just want to protect my hearing. I also didn't use Hidden Hearing/Minerva, so wanted the official basschat lowdown!

I will let you all know how it goes though :)