Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb NT '91

Hey guys, was interested in a Thumb and saw one supposedly from '91. Is this genuine?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280855157686?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1758wt_68"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280855157686?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1758wt_68[/url]

According to their site basses between 1982-1988 will have the SN on the top of the headstock? However this says 91, yet has it on there.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1333543768' post='1603238']
hard to say, i would have said about that. If it does go above that why not just go for the one on here? 1991-1996 will maybe be slightly different but not really
[/quote]

Exactly. In fact I'll probably go for the one here even if the one on ebay is slightly cheaper. Just seems more of a safe buy.

Lovely bass and possibly one of the most desirable years but I would physically check it out before parting with your hard earned cash.

Statements like "has been in the loft for 3-4 years untouched" sends alarm signals ringing. Its the worst place in the world to keep a bass - too hot in summer - too cold and maybe damp in winter. I'm not saying it has suffered because of this but just be careful.

Not sure where you got the info from re. serial numbers but that bass is absolutely kosher (no idea about the seller, simply commenting on the bass as seen in the photographs). If you feel more comfortable dealing with a BC member and don't trust ebay (sellers) then I'd go with your instincts. ;)

[quote name='whizzzy' timestamp='1333562805' post='1603673']
Lovely bass and possibly one of the most desirable years but I would physically check it out before parting with your hard earned cash.

Statements like "has been in the loft for 3-4 years untouched" sends alarm signals ringing. Its the worst place in the world to keep a bass - too hot in summer - too cold and maybe damp in winter. I'm not saying it has suffered because of this but just be careful.
[/quote]

What would be things to look out for? I don't know my Warwicks very well.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1333564582' post='1603706']
Not sure where you got the info from re. serial numbers but that bass is absolutely kosher (no idea about the seller, simply commenting on the bass as seen in the photographs). If you feel more comfortable dealing with a BC member and don't trust ebay (sellers) then I'd go with your instincts. ;)
[/quote]

Straight from their website!

Edited by jenzuwin

Always be wary of what Warwick tell you about older instruments, i know there's at least one forum member who knows alot more ;)

In terms of things to look out for, its anything you would normally look for when considering an abandoned instrument in a possibly cold/damp place.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1333565018' post='1603713']
Always be wary of what Warwick tell you about older instruments, i know there's at least one forum member who knows alot more ;)

In terms of things to look out for, its anything you would normally look for when considering an abandoned instrument in a possibly cold/damp place.
[/quote]

Yeah will do. Luckily I live pretty close to the guy so shouldn't be a problem checking it out beforehand. Thanks for your help.

To look for;

Truss rod - not generally as bad a problem as some believe but if you can adjust the rod before paying, do so. Oh and be aware that a very small minority of Wick rods can work the opposite way to anticipated.

Neck break - check it hasn't a repaired break at the headstock/neck joint.

Electrics - very rare failure of the preamp (99% certain to be MEC), pups are bomb-proof unless tampered with.

Jack Socket - It 'will' be knackered! LOL

Bridge - possible corrosion but so what and grub screws seize but not the end of the world.

Electronics cover - the tabs break or bend back... Gaffa tape fixes it.

Nut - Adjust-a-nut (the original and best... other than the very first solid brass nut that couldn't be adjusted), the glue occasionally fails and the nut can be floating but it is easily glued back in.

Tuners - bomb proof.

Frets - last ages, they are chunky, never tall from new and being a brass alloy they occasionally need a polish (mask the fingerboard with tape and rub with a green scourer with a tiny squirt of say WD40 or if you feel flush use a silver polish cloth).

There should be no cracks or separation in the woods and the necks rarely ever, ever twist; if the neck is twisted run a country mile.

That's off the top of my head, if I think of anything else I'll post. ;)

[quote name='jenzuwin' timestamp='1333916903' post='1608290']
Got this for £847 in the end. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The bass itself seemed in very good condition and I shall go pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help and happy easter! :)
[/quote]
JEZ! U WIN! :)

[quote name='jenzuwin' timestamp='1333916903' post='1608290']
Got this for £847 in the end. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The bass itself seemed in very good condition and I shall go pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help and happy easter! :)
[/quote]

Great price mate, heaven forbid if should ever need to sell my 90 Thumb, i would never let it go for anywhere near that figure :)

Let us know how you get on!

Edited by Kev

Scary thing going on with Warwick prices ...all prices really....I was bidding for this same Thumb on ebay and (sorry jenzuwin!) if I hadnt pitched in my bid he'd have got it for £770, so under £800.

I agree it was a great price. But there is a buyers market out there.

I'm sorry ...and jealous... jenzuwin! Hope she's a good 'un.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1334084549' post='1610769']
Great price mate, heaven forbid if should ever need to sell my 90 Thumb, i would never let it go for anywhere near that figure :)

Let us know how you get on!
[/quote]

Getting on well with it! The string spacing may be a bit weird but I'm not too sure, maybe I'm being fussy. Just got new strings delivered today and it sounds even better now! Loving the through neck.

[quote name='jenzuwin' timestamp='1334419675' post='1616017']
Getting on well with it! The string spacing may be a bit weird but I'm not too sure, maybe I'm being fussy. Just got new strings delivered today and it sounds even better now! Loving the through neck.
[/quote]
you know you can change the string spacing with that bridge?