Why become a member? ×

Is anything on ebay what it says it is? 62ri?

Looper

Was looking at this;
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-Mexico-90s-Ri-62-/180855151962?pt=Bassi&hash=item2a1bce9d5a#ht_1649wt_1175"]http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1649wt_1175[/url]
If it's a reissue shouldn't it have the period decal on the front and the s/n on the back?
I'm no expert so I might be just plain wrong.
See what you think yourselves!
Been trying to buy a bass for a while, and at this stage I just don't trust anything I see on ebay anymore.

Edited by Looper

It's a Made In Mexico Standard that's been modded with the addition of a thumb rest, pickup cover, and bridge cover. This isn't a reissue.

The build quality was pretty good around that time but, as with all MIM's, the quality varies a great deal. So the 'better than USA' is pure marketing bullshit on the part of the seller.

And anyway, genuine 62 reissues were crafted in Japan.

[quote name='Looper' timestamp='1333314007' post='1600024']
Very pricey "buy it now" for a standard mex then!
[/quote]

Definitely. The scratchplate would be after-market too, as the original would've had a white one.

I own a MIM Jazz almost identical to this and it's sound and playability is pure buttery peachiness! I picked it up after the previous owner had upgraded it with a Gotoh 201 bridge, Schaller tuners, 500k pots, USA Noiseless pickups, new scratchplate, and thumb-rest. It dates from 2004 and is a really good one. I paid 320 for it with a hard case.

The advice I'd give regarding Fender MIMs is to never buy blind. You MUST play them before parting with your money. I'd been after a Precision and it took me 4 months of trying them out before I found one that called out to me.
When buying a bass - If you're not sure, don't!

You do wonder? Are the people who put these basses up on ebay scammers or just effin idiots? There's a mex Jazz Bass standard up on ebay at the moment going for almost £800. I offered him 99p.

He turned me down.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1333315204' post='1600064']
You do wonder? Are the people who put these basses up on ebay scammers or just effin idiots? ....[/quote]

They never seem to get it wrong the other way around though... like a genuine MIA advertised as "sunburned base guitare found in dear old unc's loft". :D