Why become a member? ×

Fender Roadworn Jazz - everything comes to he who waits!

ash

I just bought a Fender Roadworn Jazz from my local music shop in Morecambe. I have got to say I am blown away with this bass. I had my eye on it over a year ago when it was just in but was a wee bit cynical about the roadworn concept and the relatively high price for a MIM bass. However I played it and loved the neck and feel of it. Could've sworn it was a 60s bass but sadly I couldn't afford it at the time. Anyway last week I was down at the shop to show off my old Tele Bass (another story!) to Gary there and spotted the Roadworn Jazz which had come back in as a trade deal. Another play and a potential deal was struck. I had a few days thinking space and had a think of things I could move on - it was a no brainer really, the neck sold it for me. The 'relic' look may put some people off but before it does just have a play on one. I compared it with several other Jazz basses and 'super' Js in the shop and this bass nailed it for me. It feels and sounds very authentic.I'm lucky enough to still own three vintage Fender basses and have owned several USA, MIJ and JVs and had temporary custody of a pre CBS 'stack knob' Jazz but as an alternative to taking several grands worth of vintage bass out to play this comes highly recommended. I got a great deal as ever from Gary at Promenade Music and am looking forward to gigging this at the weekend!

I really rate the RW jazz and precision over anything else brand new, just on the neck alone. I don't mind the fake relicing so much, and all the ones I have tried have sounded ace, been super light and played amazing for what they are.

It is just a shame about the price tag.

The RW's have become my go - to basses, both jazz and precision. There was just a slight niggle at the beginning about the finish, with some ideas like 'I'll get it done when I have the cash'.

Then it hit me. What I'd been after for years was a bass that played, sounded and felt great. I realised I now owned that bass, free and clear. Happy day :) :)

I tried a 70's Jazz reissue and that was very different - not just the cosmetics & feel - the attention to detail wasn't as good to me - not saying the bass wasn't a quality instrument, guess it's down to taste. I haven't tried the 60s reissue but as I said I had a play on all the basses on display USA/MIJ/Squier, etc. and this just worked for me. Playing it tonight and I just love it!

Can`t comment on the Jazzes, but on the Precisions, the RW is basically a Classic 50s, but "done in". Now the Classic 50s is a great bass in itself, but the RW just takes it further - it`s the playability of the RW Series that did it for me, and can only assume it`s the same on the Jazz.