Why become a member? ×

Pete Wentz Squier P

Icarus_147

So I'm possibly considering this as my next bass, mostly because I think it's quite pretty, and I think it's about time I got something a little more traditional looking in my collection. [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/search.php/?partno=0301074506"]http://www.fender.co...rtno=0301074506[/url]

However, I have a couple of gripes. The first and biggest being that I haven't yet played a P that I've been that happy with. I haven't played one through my amp yet, and, I do like how my amp sounds with pretty much everything, so I may be swayed on that yet. Plus this apparently has a slim neck, which I'm a fan of.

The other is that it's a Squier. I know a lot of people on here say some Squiers are great, but, the consensus seems to be that they're generally somewhat hit and miss. I was wondering if, being a signature model, the build quality would be any more consistent at all? Anybody have any experience with this (or any other Squier signature model, really)? I have no issue with the name, I'm just concerned about ending up with a bad one.

The other thing I'm thinking about getting would be a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, but I'm quite particular about which I'd get, and with the price it'd probably be a substantial amount longer before I could get it. And I'm a slave to GAS. >.>

Edited by Icarus_147

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1332746645' post='1592299']
If your main reason for wanting that bass is aesthetics then I'd just get a black P bass and stick a tort pickguard on it.

I don't think that bass will have much appeal beyond Pete Wentz fans so if you ever want to sell it I think you might find it tricky.
[/quote]

Ah, okay, maybe I should rephrase that. It's not the deciding factor, I like how it sounds there are some pretty clear Youtube demos, and it seems to have a lot of punch, but I also do really quite like the way it looks.

And re-sale isn't really [i]that[/i] much of an issue really. Out of all my stuff, my guitars are the last things I'd sell, out of want or necessity.

Edited by Icarus_147

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1332751650' post='1592357']
And re-sale isn't really [i]that[/i] much of an issue really. Out of all my stuff, my guitars are the last things I'd sell, out of want or necessity.
[/quote]

Yeah, drop me a line if that Flying-V ever goes ;)

I may well be being ignorant, but I get a little lost with some of the signature versions of standard basses - does this being Pete Wentz's signature bass give you any substantial difference in features over a regular MIM Fender or Squier Precision?

If not, I'd be tempted to hunt one of those down and recoup some of the costs :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332758112' post='1592507']
I may well be being ignorant, but I get a little lost with some of the signature versions of standard basses - does this being Pete Wentz's signature bass give you any substantial difference in features over a regular MIM Fender or Squier Precision?
[/quote]

Well, honestly, I'm not all that sure. Fender/Squier aren't really my thing, and I can't actually manage to pin down quite where these were put together. I know it (apparently) has a Jazz neck though, and I'm guessing it'd be safe to assume you wouldn't get that on a standard P. That's a pro for me, I'm quite taken by thin necks. It also doesn't have a tone knob, so everything is that little bit wider open that it would be otherwise, plus it's loaded with some Duncan designed pickups. That said, I've heard pretty mixed reviews of Duncan designed stuff, so that's neither here nor there, and they could always be changed pretty easily if they suck. Mind you, all the demos I've heard of it seem to sound pretty good.

And as for my V, I wouldn't hold your breath. =P

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1332760506' post='1592575']
And of course the bat inlay and graphic.
[/quote]

That makes it go quicker, right? :lol:

Ambivalent about the Duncan-designed - they work fine, but am sure the impact you're hearing the in the demos is just a Precision doing what it does best.

No tone control?

[quote name='Fitz666' timestamp='1332777161' post='1592968']
Nowt wrong with a Flying V Bass....... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Hah, don't think of this as a replacement at all. I fully intend to have a pretty big collection one day, this is merely the start of it.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1332795424' post='1593341']
Bit of a price leap but the Matt Freeman (rancid) sig is super and also available in black/maple :)
[/quote]

See, I prefer the looks of this one. I like things that stand out a little more, especially when it comes to P or J basses. Not because I'm trying to be different for the sake of being different, I just like stuff like that.

I had a play of a Squier Classic Vibe P today (the only Squier they had in actually, that and the 50's style CV) just to try and get a vague approximation of the type of quality I could be looking at. I really liked how it played and sounded. Frets maybe could have done with a little more work, but only a minor concern, they were still pretty playable. I'd have liked to have tried something a little closer to the price I'm looking at for the bass in question, but I didn't really have much choice.

It [i]did[/i] however seem pretty hard to get much of a variation of tone from it, but then I was playing through and Ashdown half stack which, while this one was one of the nicer Ashdowns I've played through, is still an Ashdown. We just don't get on. So I'm thinking I might chalk it down to that. Plus this bass doesn't even have a tone knob, so, that's already sort of decided I guess.

I understand, It's all down to personal preference otherwise we'd all only need 1 bass ;)

I just think these days, squier are getting better by the series/model, proven fact ;), while fender aren't improving by any standards: take the latest series . . . A four year old guitar with a change of pick ups and a "slap in the face" price rise.

In my opinion and dispite not playing one, I can only assume the PW sig is a good bass for old Squiers but they have come a long way since then.
I'm neither a fan of him or Matt Freeman but given the choice, I know my money would be well invested in the latest model and for what it offers, I wouldn't even consider moving up onto a Mexican Fender.

I really dig this bass as will many BC'ers agree but i can only advise you to try as many basses (and amp combinations) as you possibly can before you spend a penny.

All the best with it mate and let me know how you get on :D

BSB

Edited by bigsmokebass

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1332813530' post='1593542']
I should be able to get one to try out at Sounds Live, so that's pretty cool. I always feel like I'm being judged for my crappy playing when I go in there though. I probably ought to start saving up at some point, either way.
[/quote]

Crappy playing would be quite fitting on a Pete Wentz bass.

I would stay well clear of this.

A few of the more impressionable youngsters that I've done some substitute teaching for have these. None are by any stretch any good.
IMO the best part is the pickup but my idea of a P bass is really warm not much treble, but the pickup and no tone control make it very harsh sounding.

It would be worth note that Pete Wentz doesn't really use this bass unless Fender has told him too.

Personally I would save the pennies and get the 60's classic vibe P.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1332883265' post='1594527']
Crappy playing would be quite fitting on a Pete Wentz bass.
[/quote]

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1332886855' post='1594588']
I would stay well clear of this.

A few of the more impressionable youngsters that I've done some substitute teaching for have these. None are by any stretch any good.
IMO the best part is the pickup but my idea of a P bass is really warm not much treble, but the pickup and no tone control make it very harsh sounding.

It would be worth note that Pete Wentz doesn't really use this bass unless Fender has told him too.

Personally I would save the pennies and get the 60's classic vibe P.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I personally prefer a little more of a harsh sound, but, not [i]too[/i] harsh. And I really did enjoy the Classic Vibe actually. Not too taken by the colour, but it was really... easy to play, I guess. Felt like my V but without the bloody awkward body shape. Still, might as well try it out. Could be what I'm looking for, could not be, only one way to find out really!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1332896613' post='1594675']
I wonder why it has no tone knob?
[/quote]

Look, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm just here to try and get some information on a bass I'm interested in, not indulge in any sort of musical elitism.

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1332897591' post='1594678']

Look, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm just here to try and get some information on a bass I'm interested in, not indulge in any sort of musical elitism.
[/quote]

That was a genuine question, I use a Squier P bass myself so there was no elitism intended. I've just never seen a bass with only one control knob on it so I was curious.