Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New bass time.

xgsjx

Well I've finally gotten the go ahead from the Mrs to get a new bass! :santa:

I'm putting £100 in a bass fund for the next 5-6 months & not sure if I'll sell my Ibby or not to add to it (it depends what I need).

So, what I'm looking for is a 5 stringer (or maybe a sixer) & I think I want to go fretless. I'm not after the Mwaaaahhh sound, I'll be putting it through my board & trying to make sub sounds out of it).

What would you guys suggest I look at? If I don't sell my Ibby, it's @ £5-600. But if there's something that's worth selling it for, then I shall (I know I wont get a lot for it & don't want to sell it, but if needs must).

Preferably 24 frets, but not a must have (can always do harmonics to get higher).

So, ideas please?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1332635653' post='1591109']
Cort Curbow 27 frets! No sh|t! :D and its cheap too with a Bartolini pickup an' all!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/cort_curbow4mic.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._curbow4mic.htm[/url]
[/quote]

There's a fretless curbow 4 string in a local music shop & I've had a play on it, nice sound for the money. They don't do a fretless 5 (no idea why, they do a fretted 5).

I want something I'm gonna be happy with for a long time (like being happy with the Ibby for the past 22 years).
The Ibby GWB35 that Fender73 mentions is a contender.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1332665897' post='1591220']
I think the GWB1005 is a bit out my price range by @ £3k. :lol:
A couple of GWB35s went for @ £350 last year. Not totally sure its what I'm after as it only comes in black (minor selling point).
[/quote]

That is [size=5][b]the[/b][/size] Gary Willis I was referring to, not the other cheap ones, worlds apart from the "real thing" they're ok but... not way near as good as the 1005

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1332764469' post='1592674']
You can't do that! Now we all want to know?
[/quote]

Well, i jumped a few lines whilst reading your topic and just read
[quote]I'm putting £100 in a bass fund for the next 5-6 months [/quote]
and a few posts downs i read
[quote]Not having 24 frets isn't a biggie, but is there a fretless 5 string Fender P? & if there is, is it in my budget?[/quote]
So i remembered seeing a 5 string Precision for sale a while back, this one:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162086-fender-squier-5-string-precision-bass/page__p__1576892__hl__precision%20squier%205__fromsearch__1#entry1576892"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162086-fender-squier-5-string-precision-bass/page__p__1576892__hl__precision%20squier%205__fromsearch__1#entry1576892[/url]
When i saw this add i noticed that it was a P but with jazz pickups, then i re-read your first post and read
[quote]So, what I'm looking for is a 5 stringer (or maybe a sixer) & [b]I think I want to go fretless[/b][/quote]
so i knew that this bass was not a valid sugestion and removed it.

I'm obviously not a monday morning person... :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1332806388' post='1593527']
Well, i jumped a few lines whilst reading your topic and just read

and a few posts downs i read

So i remembered seeing a 5 string Precision for sale a while back, this one:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162086-fender-squier-5-string-precision-bass/page__p__1576892__hl__precision%20squier%205__fromsearch__1#entry1576892"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1576892[/url]
When i saw this add i noticed that it was a P but with jazz pickups, then i re-read your first post and read

so i knew that this bass was not a valid sugestion and removed it.

I'm obviously not a monday morning person... :)
[/quote]

Thank's for settling my curiosity :D That's a good budget bass.
I'm looking for something that I most likely wont change. I've got my eye on a nice Ibby 4005 & a Super Jazz 5 at present, but none are fretless (which is what I would prefer).

I'm not so keen on going for something like the GWB35 (nice as it is, I'd rather pay for a better 2nd hand bass). But I've got time to search.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1332883448' post='1594530']
It was only a suggestion :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]

And a welcome one too. It's a good instrument, but I think I'd end up wanting a better fretless after a few years.

Ah, so you want a really really good and really really cheap one? :D I'll have some of those as well ;)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1332884349' post='1594549']
And a welcome one too. It's a good instrument, but I think I'd end up wanting a better fretless after a few years.
[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1332928761' post='1594917']
Ah, so you want a really really good and really really cheap one? :D I'll have some of those as well ;)
[/quote]

Your Status would most likely fit my criteria :) If there's one for sale in 6 months, I may go for it.
A dingwall would be even better, but I can't afford one. :(

I'm not using it that much, so when the time comes ping me and we can chat.. :-)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1332932871' post='1594988']
Your Status would most likely fit my criteria :) If there's one for sale in 6 months, I may go for it.
A dingwall would be even better, but I can't afford one. :(
[/quote]