Why become a member? ×

End of GAS

WishICouldWalk

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='175817' date='Apr 13 2008, 07:54 PM']Good man!

I'd really like to get to your gig and hear the new set-up, but we're at The Elms in Worthing that night, sorry.. :) Our next Brighton gig is at Horatio's on The Pier on May 25th which is a Sunday.. When's your next gig?[/quote]

No other gigs in the pipeline. Drop me a line nearer the Horatio's gig and I'll try to get down and say hello.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='175594' date='Apr 13 2008, 12:15 PM']I can sympathise with that. Now that Blue-ray has won the DVD format war I thought I would have a look. Players are getting relatively cheap but looking at the software there is hardly anything I would want to buy :)

And I really dont need another bass but there has been some god-awful temptation lately :huh:[/quote]

So, what's missing from the wall display?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='175594' date='Apr 13 2008, 12:15 PM']I can sympathise with that. Now that Blue-ray has won the DVD format war I thought I would have a look. Players are getting relatively cheap but looking at the software there is hardly anything I would want to buy :)

And I really dont need another bass but there has been some god-awful temptation lately :huh:[/quote]

[quote name='WishICouldWalk' post='175858' date='Apr 13 2008, 08:51 PM']So, what's missing from the wall display?[/quote]
There was a lovely Rumour that was thankfully sold before my will power (or wont power) crumbled.

[quote name='charic' post='175212' date='Apr 12 2008, 03:20 PM']Check the weird and wonderful basses thread :)[/quote]

Well depending on your tastes in bass it will either cure yiu completely or leave you suffering from terminal GAS

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5525"]Enter at your own risk...[/url]

I can honestly say that I am currently in remission from GAS with regards to my sound. I love all my current kit, it works together beautifully and the best bit believe it or not, has to be the Geddy Lee with the Wizard 84's and a series / parallel switch - I just love the noise it makes. Or does the compressor make it sound that way? Or is it the preamp valve?

Oh, the D-tuner should arrive by the end of the week. With the pedal PSU.

I hereby rescind my initial statement. GAS is like piles. Or herpes - a friend for life.

[quote name='WishICouldWalk' post='175124' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:43 PM']....this year I've acquired and Lakland DJ5 bass, a Markbass LMK head and an EBS Neo 2x12 cab. On top of that I've got an EBD multicomp and and EBS Micro Bass preamp....[/quote]
I'm not really sure why you think you have a problem! Now you don't have to worry about anything other than playing this great gear. GAS is a waste of energy and you should now be concentrating on practising and gigging.

[quote name='chris_b' post='176287' date='Apr 14 2008, 02:21 PM']I'm not really sure why you think you have a problem! Now you don't have to worry about anything other than playing this great gear. GAS is a waste of energy and you should now be concentrating on practising and gigging.[/quote]

You don't by any chance have a cattle prod that you could jab me with everytime I type ebay into my browser do you?

I have bouts of GAS, my wife thought she had cure me by buying me a Sting Ray (how wrong she was). I also suffer from sell to buy syndrome (STBS) which can lead to the following.

Buy Jap P'bass, convince myself I need 2 basses, Buy Bass Collection.

See nice 78 USA P'bass which I must have. Sell Bass collection to buy USA P'bass.

Convince myself that I need a Jazz bass, find a nice Fernandez Jazz. Sell Jap P'bass to fund Jazz.

Sell everything to pay for rent deposit :) .

10 years later given permission to start playing in a band again.

Decide to go active so get a Cort, convince myself that I could do with a passive bass so get a Yamaha BB414.

Wife buys me a Sting Ray (eventually got the bass I've always wanted, or so I thought) sell the BB to put money towards the Ray.

Need 5 string for new venture so sell Cort and other bits and pieces to pay for Yamaha RBX765.

I regret selling the 2 Fenders I had. Starting to crave a nice P or jazz but can't afford to buy one without selling the Sting Ray. But then I would probably regret selling that. Just have to wait for that lottery win. :huh:

[quote name='Paul_C' post='175555' date='Apr 13 2008, 10:34 AM']Not only that, but I've got money in my Paypal account I can use to buy music, but can't think of an album to buy.[/quote]

I bought the Bat For Lashes album with the Paypal money, and after being asked if I'd be interested in playing some Brand New Heavies style jazz-funk (if that's what it is, I'm not up to speed with such music TBH, Last FM calls it acid-jazz) I've started wondering if a 5 string bass might be a handy addition :)

Luckily I have no money at the moment to be rashly buying something, so I'll see if can master the playing techniques before deciding I need a new bass (could always build one, of course)

In a recent fit of Anti-GAS (brought about by the acquisition of a seriously wonderful MM SUB Sterling) I sold three Fenders and a Yamaha.

Just when I thought I had everything under control, a tax return came my way - and the opportunity to buy a pair (!) of Jazz basses for a very reasonable price. Now what am I to do?
Good grief, it never ends... :)

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='179517' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:24 AM']In a recent fit of Anti-GAS (brought about by the acquisition of a seriously wonderful MM SUB Sterling) I sold three Fenders and a Yamaha.

Just when I thought I had everything under control, a tax return came my way - and the opportunity to buy a pair (!) of Jazz basses for a very reasonable price. Now what am I to do?
Good grief, it never ends... :)[/quote]
I reckon the money would be better put towards a holiday, bass lessons, new amp, flat screen TV, new hifi system.... the list is endless!